Syncthing for Android 0.5.0 Beta Testing

I’ve now also tried choosing a folder on the root my S4’s external SD card, but it doesn’t work. Using the file picker, you can’t choose a location outside of externalSD>Android>data>com.nutomic.syncthingandroid, so I use the webgui. The directory tree gets duplicated, but only a tiny fraction of files actually sync and I get a ton of these errors: “puller:final:chmod : operation not permitted.”

I don’t get that problem when I use the file picker to create a new folder to sync that’s under externalSD>Android>data>com.nutomic.syncthingandroid. Meanwhile, I’m able to create and sync directories on the internal SD card’s root without errors.

That’s probably because the app doesn’t have permission to access that (assuming you have 4.4).

Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.

I’m rooted with CM 11, which bypasses the 4.4 external SD limitation. All my apps access the external SD, no problem. BTS syncs fine to the same external SD. What’s more, the Syncthing app does sync some files, though it’s just a fraction of the total number. But that verifies permission to access.

Okay then it might be a different problem.

Which app version/syncthing version do you have, and could you post a logcat? (ideally in a new issue on Github)

I should have thought of the logcat, but I’ve already deleted everything. I was doing a session of comparing the Android versions of BitTorrent Sync and Syncthing.

By the way, I synced the same three folders of about 18GB and 30k files with both BitTorrent Sync and Syncthing on my S4’s new 128GB external SD card. For each sync, I first synced the same three laptops on my LAN, and once they were finished I then started the Android sync. Syncthing took 28 hours and BitTorrent Sync took 3 hours. That’s quite a difference. My S4’s network speed indicator app kept showing Syncthing alternating short periods of full speed (about 3Mb/s) with short periods near zero. BTS, on the other hand, pretty much stayed in the 2.5 - 3.0Mb/s range. Syncthing’s laptop syncs also took significantly longer than BTS, but I didn’t track the differences.

@calmh @AudriusButkevicius Any comment on the sync speed?

People seem to report an issue where the sync speed is much slower when the web UI is open. I think it has to do something with the GC kicking in and taking a while, and the web UI seems to produce a lot of work for GC for some reason.

Perhaps having the web UI off would make it better?

Does that also apply to the rest api alone?

Depends… I think it might be the event interface which is part of REST, but I am not sure if Android queries it.

Do you mean the webui on the Android device or on the sync peers? My S4’s webui wasn’t open during the long sync.

@AudriusButkevicius I don’t query the event interface, but the Rest API (every second while the app is open).

@JimmyTheSaint On a desktop pc, this isn’t a problem in my experience, only on lower powered devices (eg Raspberry Pi).

Querying for the various completion percentages currently causes a full database scan to collect the information. That’s expensive, both CPU wise and memory wise (hence also causes GC). The web GUI does this when it sees events that say the information has changed, which can be way too often.

1 Like

Hey, I have the Version 0.5.28 and yesterday it exhausted my total datavolume for this month :expressionless: | I hadn’t checked the box to run in the background but it was anyway not possible to stop the App. Could it be possible to set Syncthing sync only in Wlan, also when it runs not in the background? Because it is alittle dangerous when you forget to stop the app and go autside your home and it youses in the while your whole datavolume.

Thanks! But on the whole its a greate app!

So for detailed definition: I can quit the app only over the quit-button in the syncthing app. But a normal finger-wisp in the app-overwiev of running apps has no effect and the app goes running on. Also the command to quit the app over the tasker has no effect.

The problem is that sync runs in a service in the background. There’s no way to detect the swipe thing from the code, so we can’t act on that.

You can close the app in “App Info” with “Force Stop”.

But it should be possible to controll somehow when it syncs and when not. As I’ve seen, the Wlan controll is only activ when I check the option for background mode.

That’s right.

But having manual control as well as wifi/charging based modes seems quite complicated to implement.

http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/AndroidNotifications/article.html can help

He’s talking about the sync, not the notification, so that won’t help.

Some guy on Github wanted to hide the notifications though, did you mean to post there? :wink:

I am also in favor of at least having the notification configurable.