Syncthing for Android 0.5.0 Beta Testing

Ok I tried in 2 different devices and I am missing repositories in the Gui. The web gui has them.

thanks

Okay I will try and fix these for the next beta. In the mean time, you may want to go back to 0.4.9

I think that 0.49 was missing the repos for me as well ;(

Beta 3 is out!

(and some filler for discourse D:)

Great job - all working well for me on Nexus 4 running CM11. :smile:

I donā€™t use mobile data on my S4 (CM11), so itā€™s WiFi only. When itā€™s off of WiFi, the Syncthing appā€™s CPU usage when idling is consistently between 0.67% and 1.00%. BitTorrentSyncā€™s Android app stays around 0.3%. Iā€™m not sure yet how this affects battery consumption per hour. Maybe it makes very little difference, but Syncthing does use 2-3 times more CPU than BitTorrentSync. My BTS config has 16GB and 23,000 files, and my Syncthing test setup has 2MB and 15 files, so the quantity of stuff thatā€™s syncing isnā€™t the issue. Iā€™m using 3c Tools (formerly Android Tuner) to monitor the taskā€™s CPU usage.

I should add that Iā€™m using the latest version from the Play Store, which I guess is 0.4.18. Is there some other place to post feedback on the Android app? Iā€™ll probably try the 0.5 beta pretty soon in any case.

Youā€™re kind of in the wrong thread, this one is for 0.5.0, where the main aim is to improve data/battery usage (by disabling syncthing according to user preferences). With 0.5.0 and the correct settings to pause syncthing, CPU usage should actually go down to 0.

With 0.4.x, one thing that might help is closing the app (eg go to main activity and press back button). Thatā€™s because the UI does some polling for updates, which might not be stopped properly in all cases.

Other than that, thereā€™s of course syncthing running and sending packets to all connected hosts, and possibly trying to discover missing hosts. Also, increasing the rescan interval will help (you will have to use the web GUI for now).

New update to beta 6 is out!

And weā€™re at beta 7. Maybe this oneā€™s good for release? :slight_smile:

OK, Iā€™m now on the 0.5.5 version from the Play Store, but when on total idle with no files in my one sync folder, the Syncthing app hovers between 0.5% and 1.0% CPU usage. Thatā€™s double what BitTorrent Sync does, even with its full complement of files. Iā€™m still not sure how this translates into CPU-consumption-per-hour, and maybe itā€™s not much of power cost, but still.

I do like how the UI offers more control over things than BTS. Youā€™re designing for power users, I guess, where BTS aims to simplify things for the general public.

@Nutomic I successfully tested Syncthing 0.10.2 with App 0.5.5 and Iā€™m happy :smile:

only small stuff:

• the slide out menu cuts off the device ID maybe line breaks would help?
  • some buttons in the top nav bar (ex. add device) are cut off in portrait and only visible in landscape mode maybe put buttons in slideout menu and make button for stats in top bar?
  • exit function in another menu maybe add to slide out menu as well?
1 Like
  • makes sense, could you open an issue?
  • what do you mean cut off? could you post a screenshot?
  • sounds like #110

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

@uok notes that buttons in the top nav bar (ex. add device) are cut off when the slideout menu slides out in the sense that they are moved to the overflow (3 dots) menu. Thatā€™s reasonable Android behavior so that itā€™s not necessary to put the overflow buttons into the slideout menu instead of the overflow menu. The slideout menu does have a lot of empty space that can be used for additional functionality.

1 Like

Where are the keys stored? It is crashing on me and I want to reinstlal it from scractch but i do not want to loose my keys

The keys are in /data/data/com.nutomic.syncthing-android/files (but you need root to access that), export is not implemented yet.

You should open an issue for the crash (with logcat), so I can fix it.

My Note 2 and S4 are both rooted with Cyanogenmod 11. I created a folder on the internal SD on both devices and am syncing a small folder with my three Windows laptops all on the same LAN, no problem. So now Iā€™ve added a large folder (11GB, 6000 items) on one laptop to test syncing with my Note 2. I used the webgui to create a folder on its external SD (not enough space on internal). It always shows the Note 2 as 33% done, but with the rates at 0bps. On the Note 2 itself, the laptop shows synchronization is 100%, but the folder remains way out of sync, by over 5000 items. The webgui is listing tons of errors of the form, ā€œpuller: final: chmod FileName: operation not permitted.ā€ At some points it reports ā€œnot making progressā€ and to check the logs. Is this some kind of external SD access issue, which I shouldnā€™t be having on my rooted CM 11 device? Btsync works fine with the external SD on my S4, but Iā€™m not actually using btsync on this Note 2ā€™s external SD.

Instead of creating a folder via the webgui in the Note 2ā€™s external SDā€™s root, should I have accepted the default location offered me by the Syncthing appā€™s file picker in /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.nutomic.syncthingandroid/files?

Which app version are you using? The puller issue should be fixed in 0.5.6.

And sync percentage is currently displayed wrong, but that should be fixed in the next version.

Yes, itā€™s 0.5.6, the latest from the Play Store. The folder I added via the Note 2ā€™s webgui was not showing in the main interface. And then I couldnā€™t delete the Note 2 from the laptops that were sharing with it; Iā€™d restart, but the Note 2 would just remain listed as one of the clients with access. Finally, I managed to delete everything from the Note 2, and then the laptops allowed me to delete the Note 2 from their shares.

Is it a known issue that the folder picker wonā€™t allow choosing just any folder on the external SD? Iā€™ve deleted everything in any case. Iā€™ve also had issues using btsync with that Note 2ā€™s external SD that the devs were never able to track down. Iā€™d try Pulse on my S4ā€™s external SD, but itā€™s currently filled up with btsync folders, which work fine. I will soon replace my S4ā€™s external 64GB with a 128GB, so maybe Iā€™ll be able to test there.

I suggest a different layout to reduce the number of menus and make the app more intuitive The focus is on current things and less used actions are in the menu

top bar (3 tabs)

• folders
  • devices
  • info (ID, stats, transfer speed, etc.)

slide out menu

• add folder
  • add device
  • settings
  • exit / restart

Yep, thatā€™s #110 :wink: