My thoughts for a GUI 1.0 | looking for a frontend developer :)

boxed layout for local device info:

what do you think? this would be easy to scale to small devices too.

What about colored identicons? As you said, colors work with any shape you want.

Best of both worlds:

• There is a quick visual connection by color (for color-seeing people) locally within the frontend
  • The identicon is consistent and recognizable across several devices’ frontends
  • Names and colors may be the same across several devices depending on each user’s degree of perfectionism
1 Like

It’s also pretty easy to generate colored identicons, with the same color on every device (based on the device ID).

Example implementation

1 Like

yes I know them - but don’t you think the first capital letter wouldn’t be unambiguously? (who came up with such a word? oO ) the colored box with the first letter combines the real name of the device (by first letter) and the color, which is also used next to the local devices name and as contour of the navbar

for example: you have two devices with similar colors, the identicon would not really help I think

The only problem is that the device name can be set differently on every node. So it might be confusing in some cases.

So I’m not really sure, just wanted to say that identicons don’t have to be grey :wink:

1 Like

I know :blush: that’s why I hope that we could change from identicons to color & first letter :yum: google is using this not without any reasons :grin:

next try:

aaand:

I think you’re missing the point. As Nutomic said:

So the icons may not be consistent across all devices, which may be confusing.

1 Like

ahh - true :grin:

one thought: wouldn’t you name one device the same way?

if there are several people using syncthing and syncing to one central device, this should not be a problem - they only see their own given name and the color set by this device. right? :flushed:

And also: I call my Nas: “NAS” but my friend calls my Nas in his Syncthing completely different, i guess

1 Like

hmm well I see. :blush:

Update 09.07. (see pics above) Changelog

todo:

• use one(!) icon “framework” for consistency (tbd)
  • fix cpu & ram data oO

@sgilani: what do you think?

1 Like

Thank you for your update!

My I ask you to include the identicons also for the devices side? Something like this:

let me think about - this could get a bit narrow on the devices side
 these circles were a indicator for online, offline etc
 so cant’t replace them without substitute

long time, no update :yum:

just added some hopefully upcoming(?) features to the

• foldersettings and
  • the “home screen” and the “remove button” to the foldersettings

Is there a way to use this layout in syncthing now?

unfortunately not :confused: unless you are able to develop this piece of code :smile:

1 Like

oO is there anyone who has the leisure to do this for us? :cry:

1 Like

Maybe the devs could start a small crowd-sourcing campaign in kickstarter or similar

1 Like