MacOS Sonoma and Initial Install Trouble

I downloaded the latest native MacOS Syncthing bundle (https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-macos/releases/download/v1.27.6-1/Syncthing-1.27.6-1.dmg) on my Mac running Sonoma 14.4.1. If I open the .dmg file and double-click the Syncthing.app, it opens fine. But if I quit Syncthing, copy the Syncthing.app to the Applications folder, then eject the .dmg, Syncthing fails to start from the Syncthing.app in my Applications folder. Am I doing something wrong? (I thought the idea was to open the .dmg file, drag and drop the Syncthing.app file to copy it to the Applications folder, then eject the .dmg file and run Syncthing.app from the Applications folder.)

Sorry if this is a dumb question…I’m a newbie on Mac and Syncthing.

1 Like

Do you get a specific error message?

It may be required to use the “right-click → Open” trick, as it’s content downloaded from the web. A popup may also appear asking to give Syncthing permission to a specific location.

No. I’m not getting an error message. After copying Syncthing.app from the mounted .dmg to the Applications folder, the first time I attempt open Syncthing.app from the Applications folder, I get a Gatekeeper alert that says: “Synthing.app” is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

I then click “Open” and nothing happens and Syncthing is not listed as a running process in the Activity Monitor.

If I attempt to open the Syncthing.app from the Applications folder while the Syncthing.dmg is mounted, then Syncthing opens and runs as expected. And if I attempt to Eject the Syncthing.dmg, I get an error that “The disk ‘Syncthing’ wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it.”

It’s almost like copying the Syncthing.app file out of the mounted Syncthing.dmg to the Applications folder really created a symbolic link rather than a true copy. But I also tried copying from the mounted Syncthing.dmg to an external USB, the ejecting the .dmg, then copying from the external USB to the Applications folder, and I observed the same behavior.

I then tried another approach and downloaded the Syncthing.dmg to a USB drive using another computer, then I put the USB drive in my MacBook, opened the Syncthing.dmg file, and copied Syncthing.app to the Applications folder, then Ejected the .dmg and the USB. I experience the same behavior. … BUT, oddly, if I open the Syncthing.dmg file I originally downloaded to my MacBook, I can run Syncthing by opening the Syncthing.app file in the Applications folder–but only if the Syncthing.dmg file is mounted.

Could this be because the first time I ran Syncthing.app I just double-clicked it from within the Syncthing.dmg? Is there a setting somewhere in the Mac that I need to clear/delete to remove Syncthing complete and start over?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I am having the exactly same issue. MacOS Sonoma: 14.4.1 (23E224) Syncthing-1.27.6-1.dmg

It only works when I run the app from mounted img, but once it’s moved to Application directory, it won’t start. No error message, nothing.

Created an account to say the same issue here as well. Sonoma 14.4.1 with the most recent .dmg .

I thought I was going crazy trying to figure out after I had to ‘force unmount’ the .dmg and it stopped working.

I ensured that I used syncthing from the Applications folder and not from the mounted image.