I setup two syncthing servers, and added them to each other with introducer and auto share folders set.
I then installed syncthing on my local mac, and added mac to server 1 and 2 (without introducer)
At this point all devices see each other and there are no errors.
Now I create a shared folder “folder1” on server 1. Shortly after, I see this folder automatically appear on server 2 and local device. All 3 see the new folder.
then I add a second folder “folder2” to server 1.
Note, I am the only one with access, and no files or directories have been added to any of the shared folders.
server 2 shows folder 2 up to date, and shows server 1 device as up to date.
Server 1 shows folder 1 as Out of Sync, and shows server 2 as 0% of 612 MiB. When I look at “failed items” on server 1 UI, it shows: “vendor/github.com/stretchr no such file or directory” Where did this come from?
This cannot be, there are no files or directories in either shared folder.
I try to open the UI of my local install, and its dead. the syncthing process has crashed.
Looking on my local machine, I cant find where syncthing has put the folders. They are not under ~. Searching for the dir shows its not present.
Now when I restart the crashed syncthing on my local machine, it shows:
2018-06-15 13:25:57: Error on folder “folder2” (folder22): folder path missing
So when I added the folder on the server, it has tried to add it on the device (as I had auto create folder set), but seems to have failed, in addition to the other issue with the spurious file which I did not add failing.
This was just a simple exercise to share a new empty folder on 3 brand new machines (which have never had syncthing installed). I dont know what I could have done differently
Note, the two servers are ubuntu 18.04 LTS running the linux 64 bit version of syncthing.
The device is a mac running syncthing-macosx 0.14.46.1
Now the local device syncthing has crashed again - “syncing seems to be down, or there is a problem with your internet connection”. There is no problem with the internet connection, and both servers are up.
I now cant start my local syncthing. The process just dies. I am unable to connect to the UI via browser.
The only thing I can think of is that I used to have syncthing installed. It was the manual install of the mac version direct form the official website. Its a tar.gz file I unzipped into downloads, and ran the exe from there. With this I tried to syc with others peer to peer, but this failed due to too many sync errors. I removed this version by deleting the directory containg the exe, and also removed the directory /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Syncthing. This should have eradicated the old version. Then I installed syncthing again using the nice https://github.com/xor-gate/syncthing-macosx. It seems somehow the new setup has been infected with the old setup. I dont know how, or how to fix/debug.
when I look in /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Syncthing/config.xml
I only see the two new servers, and one of the two shared folders, the one which causes the problem. The path is ~/folder1, but this folder does not exist on my machine.
This also does not shed light on where the mystery files are coming from. The old syncthing was sycing to a folder/share called “folder” without the 1.
It is worth noting that both servers are secure, e.g. FW only permits SSH and 22000, password auth is disabled (only certs), fail2ban installed etc. and UI is access only through ssh tunnel.
I just looked on the server in the folder1 share directory. There was a directory in it called ivan in it. Noone put this there. Searching my machine, I have a directory called ivan under a directory called “folder” - not “folder1”. This is where the old version of syncthing was syncing to. the one I removed but its ghost is haunting me by moving files from old share to new share.
With my local syncthing process not running, I connected to both servers and removed all the spurious files under folder1. folder1 is now empty on both servers. In server2 UI, it shows Everything up to date. On server 1 UI, it shows folder1 as out of sync. “rescan all” did not help. Looking at failed items, its still showing the file which doesnt exist. I just also tried restarting syncthing on server 1, still “out of sync”
I can confirm there is only one copy of syncthing exe on the local machine, and its the one from xor-gate, not the original download one.