The Syncthing foundation stands for peace and with Ukraine

War is never the answer, all it achieves is suffering for the people. Now the Ukrainian population has been forced into war and suffering by the evil reckless attack of Putin’s Russian regime. We stand in solidarity with the Ukrainian people and anyone suffering under wars on our earth, as well as Russians suffering under the oppressive regime.

The Syncthing Foundation is not just the steward of a technical solution, but through it a world-wide community. Any global community is threatened by this war, threatened to be driven apart. Lets fight against that and stand united. Call out to your governement to comdemn this war (and any war) and to help end it as soon as possible.

The Foundation donates 1000Eur to the Ukrainian Red Cross, which Kastelo matches with 1000Eur to United Help for Ukraine to help provide much needed aid to the population in Ukraine. These are just two organisations of many that you could also consider supporting if you can. Please stay strong and stay kind to help build a human future.

42 Likes

Great initiative!

7 Likes

As a few other options to donate: I personally support SOS Ukraina, an organisation in Poland helping refugees entering there. And more mid-term effective front-Lex, to help work towards a Europe, where the momentary solidarity at the borders extends to all people at all times. And Voices of Children because it looks like an awesome project and I can’t even imagine how it is like as a kid in war.

9 Likes

I do not believe promoting your political stance is appropriate in this venue

23 Likes

That’s your belief and you’re free to have it. The venue is however ours and we’ll promote our political stance – in this case that a pointless war of nationalist aggression is bad; previously that racism is bad – as we like.

23 Likes

It’s a big, big shame that this war happens in the 21st century in the mid of Europe. Shame on you, Mr. Putin!

8 Likes

I do not believe that choosing to murder men, women and children in order to advance one’s political power is appropriate in any venue and should therefore be condemned in any and every venue.

If it were a hurricane or earthquake that killed thousands of people, would you object to fundraising and support for the victims? How is standing with the victims of not just an act-of-god, but a deliberate choice worse?

Condemning murder shouldn’t be political or controversial.

11 Likes

You are not reasoning well. You are comparing natural disasters with belic/political actions.

If you want to compare, compare the Iraq war or Syria’s bombing or Lybia’s invasion all perpetrated by US/OTAN. I haven’t seen any “revolutions” or “fundrisings” when those took place. You simply didn’t care at all.

11 Likes

You didn’t look; there were a lot. Not necessarily here, but in other places. As always not everyone can act on everything - we all react more to things that are closer to us, geographically or emotionally. For Europeans this happens to be both so you see stronger reactions than you do for disasters and atrocities further away. And there’s certainly an element of racism to it as well, implicit or explicit.

None of that makes it less of a worthy cause though.

12 Likes

The Iraq war? The war where I had a bumper sticker on my car with the latest estimates of civilian casualties? The war that had the largest antiwar protests in history around the world including in the US?

Also you wanted the Syncthing Foundation… which didn’t exist yet and wouldn’t exist for several years after the invasion to make a statement on the Iraq War? Clearly you’re just a troll.

10 Likes

So far your argumentation boils down to whataboutism and “but Russia felt threatened by Nato”. The last point is laughable at best as Russia has around 6k nuklear warheads. Nobody would want to risk WW3. So all in all a very pathetic attempt to justify what is happening to the people in Ukraine.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be appropriate to lock the comments at this point?

Nothing good is going to come out from this, and if someone does feel like having a political discussion, there are millions of venues to do it in the Internet. If you don’t agree with Syncthing supporting a particular cause, the solution is simple, i.e. do not donate money to the Syncthing Foundation :wink:.

4 Likes

Yeah… Let’s just recommend to keep it constructive or follow Tomasz’s advise above for now.

3 Likes

If you wish to be politically-neutral, then, either keep silence (aka no politics), or be pratically neurtal (i.e. help both sides, e.g. ukranian red cross and donbass refugees), or be prepared, that somebody has opposite opinion (supported, of course, “by facts”, but from different sources).

IMHO, “no politics” is the best practice.

11 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Syncthing translations to Ukrainian and Russian

I only see the promotion of humanity and empathy in this venue.

7 Likes

For a short moment leaving aside the suffering. Think about the meaning and idea behind it:

• A missile takes only a few minutes to fly from St. Petersburg to Berlin or vice versa. This is nothing new after the fall of the iron curtain, St. Petersburg was Russian territory ever since WW2, the distance stays the same. So is this more threatening today?
  • A missile takes a little less to fly from St. Peterburg to Warsaw or vice versa. Two minutes less, an enormous increase in thread? Does it make any difference to be eradicated two minutes later?
  • A missile of Russian, US or Chinese origin is able to reach any place on this planet of strategic value. This is also not an invention of the fall of the iron curtain, it is not more or less threatening today than it was 30 years ago.

So an increase in thread is not the reason for attack, is it? So, what is it then?

• A country without nuclear weapons is about to attack the country with the world wide most nuclear weapons? Are they tired of life, or what?
  • The biggest country in area is afraid of a country of much smaller area and a population of 1/6th? Since when are the Russians wimps?
  • And because you are feeling threatened you’re gonna attack first? Does it make you militarily stronger or gives you some other means of a better chance of winning? Probably not, right?

=> All above arguments are plain BS!

So, what then is the reason? The men in the Kreml are not stupid. So, what they are doing must make some sense, follow some logic (could even be some weird logic). And you can estimate from more or less sense if an argument is valid or just pretended. So, the question to answer is, what would make most sense?
And what makes most sense in what we learned from the past is this: Resurrect as far as possible the old USSR, the Empire of the Zar or some kind of mixture of it. This way the wars of the young past and today, Georgia, Chechnya, Ukraine, etc. make “sense”. They follow in fact a common scheme: Surround with satellite states.
But the shock in it is, that it’s directed backwards. There’s no new, future planing, it’s completely ancient. It’s not 21st century, it’s like acting and thinking 100 or 200 years ago. And this makes me dumbfounded. Size does no longer matter, look at Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan. Small in size and population, but large in importance. Machines, automobiles, mobile phones, chip industry, etc. And having states acting as a buffer between “me” and “them” is also an obsolete idea of the past, considering above mentioned time to fly for a missile. Ukraine could have been an excellent candidate to intermediate between “the West” and Russia. This would have been a brilliant perspective for a future for every nation involved. But now war has poisoned anything.

6 Likes

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor . If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

Desmond Tutu 1931

8 Likes

I think that the actions of the Russian government should be condemned, along with every other violence in the world.

This forum is obviously not the right platform for a debating about the complex and nuanced Ukraine situation, but I believe that mention of the victims falling under responsibility of the Ukrainian government in the past 8 years in the Donbass region along those of the Russian invasion would be fair.

8 Likes