The Syncthing foundation stands for peace and with Ukraine

To make that point publicly:
The foundations action and this thread are here to support the Ukrainian people suffering under a vile invasion by the Russian regime, and in extensions to support peace everywhere. It is not here to discuss neutrality, various other actions or misjustices happening (or not) anywhere - even assuming good faith on part of all posters.
That being said: If you want to post something constructive here, please do so. Just don’t start tangential discussions, I’ll delete any such posts outright.

11 Likes

Allow me to summarize, that is " no discussion would be welcome here other than condemning Russia and supporting Ukraine, and this is not a place for free speech "

9 Likes

That more or less sums it up for me, yes.

Oh and inb4 “Syncthing foundation is against free speech”, you can say what you want - we just don’t have to host it on our platform for you.

9 Likes

This topic is now in the Announce category which has a slightly higher threshold for participation (TL1 to reply, since forever).

8 Likes

In social networks they urge not to donate to the Red Cross: what happened and why the Red Cross of Ukraine has nothing to do with it

3 Likes

Summarizing/simplifying that per my understanding; to accomplish actual good in Ukraine, donate to actual Ukranian organizations on the ground such as the Ukranian Red Cross Society (https://redcross.org.ua).

3 Likes

Kudo’s for this initiative!

5 Likes

Does Syncthing stands or would have stood for peace and with

• Syria
  • Iraq
  • Libya
  • Yugoslavia

too?

Yup.

I’m not certain which specific variant of hypocrisy you’re implying we’re guilty of, but I don’t really think it matters in either case.

4 Likes

The war in Syria is the most recent one and is ongoing. A few years ago it was more intence still. Syncthing has been around for 10 years - since 2013.

Show me then any topic here on the forum about “The Syncthing foundation stands for peace and with Syria”.

Let me actually take the time to reply to this, once, because it keeps coming up and I think it’s disingenuous in several ways.

So first of all, the supposed sin here is that we don’t care enough about the war in Syria. Why are we having this discussion? Because we have a banner that we care about the war in Ukraine. If we didn’t have that banner, would we be having this discussion? I don’t think so, so the actual perceived sin here is that we do care about the war in Ukraine, and indeed take a side on who we think is “good” and “bad” in the situation. Readers will note that the complainant isn’t saying what they think we should do, merely implying wrongdoing of some kind. If they were to say what they think we should do it would likely be something like “keep politics out of open source”, which is another can of bullshit I’ll be happen to open at some point (but everyone please feel free to google why this is a fallacy).

But why don’t we have a banner about Syria? Don’t we care? Well, I do, I think it’s horrible what’s going on there, but there are unfortunately millions of horrible things going on in the world and we have to pick some things to care more about at any given time. Otherwise we end up in complete paralysis, or with a forum that is nothing but banners about every war and injustice in the world. We have picked, currently, to care about the war in Ukraine. The reasons for this should be obvious: apart from the fact that it deserves caring about in general, like any other war, this one is literally on our doorstep. If I have to pick one or two things to care extra much about, I’m going to pick things that are closer to me, in some sense (philosophically, geographically, whatever). Is this a form of hypocrisy? Possibly, but I’m going to roll with that and take it as a positive that some energy is being spent on caring at all. Previously, our banner issue was racism in general and, predictably, that also generated vague posts implying we care about the wrong thing.

So, if the actual underlying feedback here is “you guys should care about and collect money for literally every problem in the world” in equal measure, then, well, we’re not going to do that, sorry. There are actual aid organisations with a somewhat wider focus, you can support them. However if the actual underlying feedback is “you guys should remove the Ukraine banner because it annoys me and/or I support Russia” then, well, go fuck yourself.

Sincerely, Jakob

16 Likes

In order to avoid answering my question directly, which could’ve been answered with one word - yes or no - the man, calmh, has lashed out at me, a 2nd time.

Has there been any topic about “Syncthing foundation is for peace in Syria” here? Or not?

To be fair, your question was “Does Syncthing stand […]” and the answer was “Yup.”

Why not just use the forum search function?

Some posts might have been deleted by the authors, so the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine might be helpful: https://web.archive.org/web//forum.syncthing.net

Could also ask ChatGPT, but the last time I checked, it’s breadth of knowledge goes up to September 2021. However, the civil war in Syria is going on 13 years, so it should be well-versed on the first decade or so.

Says the man who seems to be avoiding saying what his line of questioning is about.

You want a direct answer? No, there was no such banner or post for the Syrian civil war and @calmh gave you a honest explanation why.

Now say what you want to say.

3 Likes

All your questions were answered.

You’re just leaning on a bunch of fallacies to make a point or to try to put the other side in a bad light, that doesn’t work.

4 Likes

They haven’t been.

The way a few people have gotten triggered here insulting me proves this.

Gaslighting.

They aren’t really against this war, nor weren’t against the previous ones.

Question1:

Reply 1:

Question 2:

Reply 2:

Two answered questions. And I haven’t seen another question from you. You apparently do not agree with the answers, but you cannot claim that you did not receive answers.

Wow… An accusation based on nothing. Go away please.

5 Likes

Hi @daren6336, I hope I can help you out with below:

1. If it was a real-life discussion, would you barge in and start pointing fingers and telling people what they ought to do? If the answer is yes, then perhaps a lot of people will stay away from you in life, and you will rarely be invited to discussions. This is the opposite of what one should do to rally people around their causes, so that’s not a good start.

2. I can see these causes are very important to you, and this is a positive thing. You should channel this energy to create your own movement of some sort, look for ways to have your own impact. Why go on other people’s houses and tell them things. One house can be defending one cause, another house can be defending another cause. The sum of all the houses will be defending all the causes.

3. Are you seriously expecting that because someone is mentioning support for a cause, they must automatically retroactively support all the other causes in the world?

You won’t be able to coerce people into what causes they should be supporting.

The best you can do is inspire others, and that’s the opposite that you’re doing right now. If you want to take that route in life, and fight for these causes around the world, you will need some social talents, but you can most definitely get coaching by experts if you don’t have.

Don’t give up on these causes though, please don’t. I hope in 10 years from now, we will see something you have done for these causes, that you can be proud of, and it wasn’t just that one forum post that you came and did here, and that was how much you finally actually cared, and that was that.

That would be contradictory to you caring about these causes, if the only effort you’ve done towards them was this post here, and then you went on with your life.

All the best

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.