The old Transifex thread (was: Translating Syncthing)

Apologies have been away for sometime, will finish up Japanese and reviewed submitted ones.

Thanks

1 Like

How to correct a typo in German?

For Edit Folder Minimum Free Disk Space (0-100%)

German reads Verzeichnis bearbeiten Minimal freier Fetsplattenspeicher (0-100%)

There is a typo in Fetsplattenspeicher, should be Festplattenspeicher

EDIT: Ignore this post, I just saw that it already has been corrected in transifex.

2 Likes

Yeah yeah, I am updating the Chinese (Taiwan) translation. :grinning:

2 Likes

Aaron, I see you’ve requested Chinese (Hong Kong) which I’ve accepted and Chinese (no specification) - does the latter add something that isn’t covered by the other Chinese variants?

I’m rejecting some other requests as well that don’t make sense to me, but as far as I can tell there’s no way to reply or add a note in Transifex so I’m hoping people turn up here to complain so we can discuss it…

I try to avoid extra work and confusion, so if we already have French and Dutch, requesting French (France) and Dutch (Netherlands) doesn’t make sense to me. (French (Canada) on the other hand makes sense as that is different from the default French.)

Similarly, requesting both West Frisian and West Frisian (Netherlands) at the same will get one rejected…

I’ve found that Transifex has a habit of requesting every language on a user’s profile when that user joins the project / does something else I haven’t yet managed to put my finger on. So most of the language requests (especially ones that happen in bulk) aren’t actually intentional. Messaging the user on Transifex sorts it out easily.

1 Like

Oh! TIL. I have to admit Transifex is one of my least favourite web interfaces, it always manages to get me confused. :wink:

1 Like

Hello,

I have a very small suggestion for French translation, but it might not be obvious to fix: I see “Off” is translated to “Éteint”, which is correct for a device for example, but the only place I see this string used is for compression setting, and here “Éteint” threw me off. I think “Désactivée” or “Pas de compression”, or maybe “Sans” would be better.

Unfortunately, my suggestions would not fit well for other usages of “Off”. As far as I can tell, “Off” appears at 2 places in html template in the source code, both about compression setting. But this being a very generic word it might appear somewhere else in the future. Is there a way to distinguish different cases for “Off”? If it’s a limit of the localization system, I guess “Éteint” will have to do.

(If there a more appropriate place to discuss specific translations, let me know :slight_smile:)

Thanks

Edit: got an answer for this here.

你好。非常高兴能在这里看到一名中国人。

Hello Jakob,

I sent message over Transifex already but maybe you have not noticed yet. I plan to complete Turkish translation of Syncthing GUI, android and lite projects. And I need to correct some reviewed ones. Could you make me coordinator of these three projects?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Burak

1 Like

I’ve done so. There used to be a script to auto-upgrade people to coordinator but now I can’t find it…

Thank you very much, Also could you make me coordinator for Android and Lite version projects? I see only for GUI.

1 Like

Done.

Thank you again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed some suboptimal or inconsistent German translations, mainly of strings I added to the GUI myself. Could you please raise me to reviewer / coordinator status for German, @calmh?

1 Like

Done.

I made an Indonesian translation for Syncthing, but it hasn’t been reviewed. How do i get them reviewed?

1 Like

Just made you a reviewer - without co-tanslators in that language I guess you get to review/approve yourself :wink:
Thanks for your translation effort!

2 Likes

I’ve finally finished translating the Web GUI into Korean. Some fixes are still required, but everything is at nice 100% now :wink:.

Because of this, I’d also like to work on the translations for Syncthing Android. Would it be possible to ask to be upgraded to a reviewer for both Polish and Korean? There doesn’t seem to be any reviewer for the former, and in the case of the latter, there used to be some activity in the past, but nothing’s been done for a year or so, and there’s still plenty of untranslated strings.

1 Like

I think you were already reviewer, but I upgraded you to “coordinator” where I could. There seems to be two different sets of teams for the android project, and I only have powers on “Team_1_from_syncthing-android”. :man_shrugging: This is you now: