SyncTrayzor Question

I hope this is the correct category and place to ask this.

I was going to try Sync Trayzor to start with, but I installed Syncthing first because the current version was using an old build of Syncthing, not knowing it would update after installation. When I started Synctrayzor afterward, it started a new instance of Syncthing. I didn’t want a second version of Syncthing running, so I uninstalled it.

Is there a way to get Sync Trayzor to run the instance that I already have running? Can I copy/move files and/or edit configs or something? I would like to try it. tia, jts

Is Synctrayzor running as the same user? I thought it used the default location for the Syncthing config.

1 Like

Yes, I am the only user. I am unsure where it stores the config file.

You are not using the portable version of SyncTrayzor, right?

2 Likes

No, I am not currently using it. I uninstalled it after I couldn’t figure out how to run one instance only. I am using a windows 10 computer. I am just using Syncthing through a browser (firefox) interface.

You could also try Syncthing Tray which does not spawn a 2nd instance of Syncthing (unless you configure it). It also doesn’t require an installation.

(I’m the developer of Syncthing Tray so yes, I’m doing a little bit advertisement here.)

1 Like

Absolutely! I welcome the opportunity, and I am honored that you would ask. Thanks so much. Edit: This may be a little over my head. It is definitely deep water. It looks very powerful, and should do all and more than I need.
I just picked one out of the eight and ran it: syncthingtray-1.1.1-i686-w64-mingw32.exe.zip. It seemed to start OK. I will give it a go tomorrow when I have a little time.

You likely want to use the x86_64 version (unless you’re really still using a 32-bit system). And yes, Syncthing Tray has a lot of possibly overwhelming configuration options. That’s because I have different use-cases for the tool and also users asked for different things.

OK, thanks, I will study them closely to see which model fits my scenario best. Thanks again!

I’m afraid it’s not working now, although it appeared to initially. Is there a tutorial or instructions to get it set up and run on a windows 10 client?

Not really (besides the README). I was hoping the configuration UI was self-explanatory. If you think you’ve found a bug or just need help you can also use the issue tracker on GitHub. Of course you need to supply a little bit more information, e.g. which of the options you’ve chosen and how it is not working.

It is no doubt something I have done wrong or not done. I copied the binary executable to my computer and ran it and it came up. Now I run it and it does nothing. I will backtrack and see if I can figure it out. I don’t seem to be able to. Syncthing is probably above my skill level too, but it just works. thanks again.

After further reading, I am afraid that I have never “built” a software and don’t know how to start. This is above my skill level apparently. I usually just install a program on windows with the exception of compiling small routines into executables with Quickbasic. Thanks for the opportunity anyway.

SyncTrayzor needs to be the service which starts Syncthing, because it needs to pass the API key to use securely to it on startup.

Syncthing will auto-update however, and by default it will use the same database location as Syncthing would use if you just ran it yourself (if you’re using the installed version of SyncTrayzor that is, and not the portable version). So all you need to do is to disable whatever mechanism you set up to run Syncthing yourself, and let SyncTrayzor start it.

(If you really want to use a syncthing binary that’s in another location, you can set that in the settings, but SyncTrayzor still needs to be the thing which starts it).

ok, thanks, I was under the impression that I needed to copy some files over to get it to run with the existing instance from what I had read. I will try disable syncthing from the windows startup and see if that will work on my pc.

It is working now as I had anticipated. Thanks for the tips.

1 Like