Syncthing can not write to SDcard?

I’ve searched around for a solution myself, but apparently this has been an ongoing problem for half a decade already… Am I missing something, or is it really impossible to sync an SDcard (without rooting)?

I have plenty of other apps that worked around this problem, so surely syncthing should be able to manage it somehow?

Whats the trick?

It isn’t solved yet. At least not within the official default app. Note that “Send-only” folders will work, though.

It is imperative that syncthing can handle SDcard writing, since I regularly go back and forth between PC and mobile with work documents. Files on my tablet not updating when I edit them on my PC is no good to me.

Apparently syncthing can do it if the SDcard is formatted as internal storage, but a lot of manufacturers have barred the option, since the whole system will conk out and require a factory reset if the SDcard becomes corrupted.

I’ve used many apps that simply ask for SDcard permission if needed, and work quite fine after you give it to them, so it is not an impossible feature.

I love everything about syncthing, but this one glaring issue kinda breaks it…

There have been a number of discussions on the forum about this. Unfortunately it is a technical issue - the apps you refer to were written specifically for Android on Java, whereas Synching is written as a cross-platform application in Go.

The solution is apparently to stick Go in a Java wrapper so it can invoke permissions, but no dev has bothered trying since 2014, so it will likely never happen I guess…

I wonder if there are any other synchronizing apps that happen to be compatible with syncthing, so I wont have to deal with this broken native app… I could run foldersync and just FTP files to and from my NAS, but thats a bit of a slopjob…

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am not aware of any other app being compatible protocol wise with syncthing.

Sticking go in a java wrapper is an enormous task which requires breaking syncthing down into a library rather than an application.

I’m sure its no easy feat to adapt syncthing to current android standards, but an app that has file handling as its main purpose should atleast be able to access the most common places people keep their files?

I semi worked around this problem now, by replacing syncthing on my tablet with the Foldersync app, and having it two-way pair my local folders with an SFTP that points to my NAS’ syncthing dataset. I’m praying this wont break everything, but it seems to be the only way of doing this…

I once invested some time into integrating Syncthing as a library into my GUI wrapper. I also had in mind to port it to Android. However, I was blocked by https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/4085. And besides, I’m still not sure whether it is worth it in the end.

I usually just use Syncthing for small directories which can be on the internal storage as well. For the camera “send-only” is good enough. Other things like movies and music is just copied or accessed from my server via SMB or KDE connect.

I’ve got (or rather, I had) syncthing taking care of my pictures from internal storage. But I work on a lot of documents at home and on my tablet when im out. I can just pop open a VPN and grab stuff from my NAS, but id much rather have it continuously trickle stuff in and out on the fly, whenever it can. Because sometimes I have to access files in a place where internet is buggered (Germany is a bit spotty on cell/wifi coverage), so I cant rely on having that connection open. Thats why I need sync instead of cloud.

Someone sent me a private message about being able to trick syncthing by putting a folder somewhere. I presume its some symbolic link voodoo. I’ll report back if it fixes things. :’)

It’s neither a symbolic link nor voodoo. Android allows apps to write to their own folder, which is Android/data/{appid}/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.