Synching Windows / Linux doesn't work bidirectionally

No, sir, I added two files: One on the server side and one on the windows side. The one from the server side got synchronized, thus the increase of the file count by one. The new file from the windows side is still missing.

I’m not sure concerning the deletions. I cannot pin it down, and I cannot reproduce it, but at a point in time I had the idea that deletions did not work. Neither do (reproducibly) file creations or modifications. See the screeshots earlier in this thread.

So this is really confusing, as the screenshots you are sharing shows 131 files, so I don’t understand how it suddenly becomes 7, it just doesn’t add up.

From this behavior you can immediately deduce that mutations are not noticed by Syncthing on the Windows side. Seems that Syncthing just does not see the new file. That’s what I’m complaining about.

So this is a bit tricky to follow, but the behavior you’re describing is not something we’ve ever seen anywhere else. That to me suggests you should look closer at the systems, perhaps see if you can reproduce it with another system. We don’t know what else may be going on here. Funky filesystems, caching layers, permission issues?

Generally speaking the only time Syncthing would fail to see a change (barring issues like those above) is if it’s not scanning - have you tried pressing “Rescan” to see what happens?

@hww Did you try running Syncthing as administrator on Windows? Maybe its something to do with permissions

yes, the rescan button already bears traces of wear :slight_smile:

Earnestly, I’ll try and will install Syncthing on another Windows box to see if I get less difficulties with that.

maybe STTRACE=scanner could show something useful why it fails?

1 Like

@fpbard This one did the trick!

Thanks a lot everybody.

We should probably expose errors when scanning somewhere better…

Or just mention in the docs that on Windows Syncthing has to be “run as Administrator”. Having administrator privileges on your own account is not sufficient.

Anyway, great work, great support from all of you. Thank you very much.

Edit: (Off topic: how can I mark this discussion as “solved”?) no longer holds, see below.

Syncthing should NOT be running as Administrator.

The fact that it needs to on your machine means, that your network drive is only mapped for the administrative user, not your user.

Nope. The network drives made no problem whatsoever. They are configured to be accessible for everybody, and in fact are. The local disk did not properly get monitored by Syncthing until I made it run as Administrator.

Something’s up with your permissions then. There are thousands of windows users who are running Syncthing unprivileged and have no problems, myself and the SyncTrayzor users included.

@hww Windows permission is a strange thing. Hard to understand and even harder to implement correctly if you ask me. wwweich is right. You should not run Syncthing as administrator. I hope someone will share their knowledge on how to make Syncthing work with other folders with difference permissions like network shares on windows.

@fpbard You’re right. I am not at all fond of running programs with elevated privileges as I can avoid it.

Earlier I suspected some kind of permission problem, see post #11 of this thread. I therefore opened up access to the local partition in question (the whole logical drive). I gave full access to everybody. Checking the effective permissions reveals that in fact letterly everybody logged in has full, unlimited access to that drive. But that didn’t help.

Who of the thousands of windows users @canton7 mentioned could point out which permissions one must use in order to get Syncthing running as a normal user?

Does everyone have access to all files within that drive? Remember that windows permissions aren’t necessarily inherited across folders.

@canton7 Yes they have. Everybody has full access to everything on this particular partition. I explicitly propagated those permissions to all subfolders and subitems.

But you’re right anyway. Running Syncthing as administrator is no solution at all, because this makes all directories and all files newly created or modified belong to root/root on the file server which in turn leads to bad permission problems on either side.

So running Syncthing as administrator makes it monitor my partition, but destroys permissions on the server. Running Syncthing as a normal user doesn’t notice mutations on my local drive.

What can I do about that?

What NAS are you using? For some NAS boxes there are Syncthing packages which can be installed directly onto the NAS.

I’m afraid I’m struggling in the same places as @AudriusButkevicius: your screenshots don’t add up. Sometimes there are 131 files on both sides, sometimes around 7. You’ve also corrected your statements over time. Additionally there are network drives involved, but I’m not sure entirely where.

Would you be able to put together a summary of all of your findings up to this point, including all of the evidence you’ve seen to indicate that syncthing isn’t functioning correctly, etc, all in one easy-to-read and easy-to-comprehend place? That would really help people like me who are coming to this thread late.