question about conflict file

how do you properly dispose of conflict files? do you do it while syncthing is running or not? do you delete it in every device ? i tried deleting it while not synchng but next time i synched it still generated the sync conflict files. pls advice

It really depends on the cause of the conflicts…

Simple ones where a particular file is modified from two different devices at the same time or before one device has received the latest version from the other device are easier to resolve.

Ones where the conflicts are caused by filesystem timestamp resolution or other issues might require more work.

Details about the devices – especially about the one the conflicts are occurring on – would be helpful (version of Syncthing, OS, etc.) Screenshots of Syncthing’s GUI showing the error would also be very helpful.

@gadget i feel like were not understanding each other. i mean i know how to compare files and how to resolve the conflict, its just that the conflict file still lingers and i wanna know how to get rid of the conflict file the right way

From Syncthing’s PoV it’s just a normal file, up to you to delete it when you don’t need it any more.

i know but whenever i delete it it doesnt delete on the other device it just sync back the conflict file

That would be due to some problem, probably the same problem that causes the conflict to begin with.

can you explain further?

Gadget nailed it above.

what do you mean nailed it? i didnt see any solution? i was still confused.

They asked relevant questions, the answer to which might help determine the solution.

1 Like

There are multiple potential reasons for the behavior described above, but there just isn’t enough information to diagnose the problem.

We really do need more information including at least the following:

• Operating system(s) (e.g., Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.).
  • Which version(s) of Syncthing.
  • Screenshot of at least the Syncthing UI on the affected device.
  • Log file from Syncthing on the affected device.

If for some reason it’s not possible to share any details…

From the Syncthing documentation:

Perhaps one of the following earlier posts matches your particular situation? In no particular order:

If not, other potential matches: Search results for 'conflict' - Syncthing Community Forum

2 Likes

@gadget

There are multiple potential reasons for the behavior described above, but there just isn’t enough information to diagnose the problem.

how would one properly have deleted the conflict file? do you turn off syncthing first then delete the file on all devices then open syncthing or do you delete all conflict files while syncthing is open?

my device os are android 12 and windows 10 running syncthing 1.23.4 there was no error on the gui if that is what your asking

Conflict files are synchronized just like other files. So in a “normal” setup (send and receive everywhere) you fix the conflict in one place only.

There’s no single way “right” way. It all depends on how the conflict occurred, how many devices are involved and a few other conditions.

For example, if the conflict is being caused by a program on a device that’s updating the conflicting file every 10 seconds while another device is also trying to sync changes to the same file, obviously the problematic program needs to be looked at first otherwise it’s an endless cycle.

Generally speaking, I’ve never found it necessary to shut down Syncthing to clear a conflict. I just decide if the conflicting file is worth keeping and if the changes it contains need to be merged with the other modified version(s). If it’s not worth merging, I simply delete the file on the device, then repeat the process as needed on all other devices that have the file.

For conflicts, an error isn’t shown in the web UI (at least not one that I’ve ever noticed). But there is a warning in Syncthing’s audit log.

Another option is to do a search in the desktop file manager and/or using the find command on Linux and macOS for the filename pattern “.sync-conflict-” to ferret out any file conflicts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.