(OSX) Do you want the application "syncthing" to accept incoming network connections?

Per the subject, I receive a popup occasionally on multiple computers and it’s a pain since my I use it to sync files to my wifes computer, so she has to keep approving it also.

“Do you want the application “syncthing” to accept incoming network connections?”

OSX, 10.10.4. Syncthing is installed in a non-root user folder and launched by a launchagent plist in my ~/Library/LaunchAgents.

OSX Firewall is set to allow secure apps.

Saw this: http://superuser.com/questions/912656/how-do-i-stop-my-mac-from-asking-to-accept-incoming-network-connections and observe:

$ codesign --verify -vv ~/sthing/syncthing
/Users/<me>/sthing/syncthing: code object is not signed at all
In architecture: x86_64

In absence of signed binaries is there any other way to prevent the warning?

1 Like

Just to note, on pressing Accept I notice that the app then becomes signed.

E.g.

codesign --verify -vv ./syncthing
./syncthing: valid on disk
./syncthing: satisfies its Designated Requirement

We’re not one of those currently, as the binaries are not signed. We should look into having them signed; it’s not terribly difficult, it just needs to be a part of the release process.

If this means we can only compile the OSX release on OSX itself, there is nothing stopping us from integrating inotify

Native builders were always on the horizon, just something annoying I’d rather avoid as long as possible. But yeah, it’s not a problem.

Pretty please consider doing this in the medium term. Several machines all asked multiple times today, I’ve trained my better half just to press accept, but…

Indeed. We do have a native Mac OS X builder now, so signing the binary is “just” a question of setting up the certificates and stuff. I’ll try to look into it in the not so distant future.

1 Like

Done. Next release will be codesigned, plus dev builds from now on.

5 Likes

I’m still getting these network popups on a daily basses on my 2 Mac computers. I checked syncthing and it reports as being signed, but syncthing-inotify doesn’t. Could that be the cause for me?

computer:~ user$ codesign --verify -vv /usr/local/bin/syncthing
/usr/local/bin/syncthing: valid on disk
/usr/local/bin/syncthing: satisfies its Designated Requirement

computer:~ user$ codesign --verify -vv /usr/local/bin/syncthing-inotify 
/usr/local/bin/syncthing-inotify: code object is not signed at all
In architecture: x86_64

Both are up to date.

computer:~ user$ syncthing-inotify -version
syncthing-inotify 0.8.5 (go1.7.5 darwin-amd64)

computer:~ user$ syncthing -version
syncthing v0.14.24 "Dysprosium Dragonfly" (go1.8 darwin-amd64) brew@Sierra.local 2017-02-23 06:47:07 UTC