New Synology DSM 7 | Syncthing package for Synology NAS

I am running 7 DSM using the Safihre/SynoCommunity app. It did not register with me that there was an “official” version of Syncthing and a community one. So the one on the synology page is referring to the official one that is not being upgraded for DSM 7.

Did they perform about the same?

thanks again

Hal

In fact, you can take it in that way. Safihre’s SPK is not an official Synology APP that is listed on Synology. However, I would call it a official 3rd-party-APP because it has been for a few years and was available before of Kastelo APP.

However, with the Docker version in the DSM 7, there is another possibility to use the Kastelo package, but also other images. If configured correctly, the shared folders of the DSM can also be included there, so that the look and feel is comparable to the native SPK installation. However, the performance of the Docker version is lower than the native version and is therefore not the first choice for many folders with many files and directories.

1 Like

Hi:

To echo Andy’s comments here: I’ve had an installation that lost the Syncthing config folder during the process of upgrading from DSM6 to DSM7 - or rather, probably the process of repairing the Syncthing package after the upgrade.

I’d strongly urge backing up this folder before upgrading DSM - it’s at /volume1/@appstore/syncthing.

I posting this here because people knowledgeable DSM 7 watch this thread. what is the command to restart the Safihre app? i find that occasionally it stops running and I have to log into my Synology NAS, open the package app, find syncthing and then click the “Run” button. I would like to schedule a task to restart the app once a day (that’s robust enough for me).

Thanks.

Hal

I think you can test with

/var/packages/syncthing/scripts/start-stop-status start

or

/volume1/@appstore/syncthing/bin/syncthing --home=/volume1/@appdata/syncthing/

Andy,

thanks for the quick reply.

i logged in with ssh, used sudo and, neither worked.

Is that condition from the beginning? Which Synology you use?

So, what works at the command line is:

sudo /usr/syno/bin/synopkg restart syncthing

For my purposes i used the task scheduler. you can start syncthing as a service (see attached photo)

Hello guys. My DS is asking me to upgrade to DSM 7.0, as version 6 seems to go deprecated. I use my DS for Syncthing only and have a lot of folders shared. Thats why I kept it on DSM 6 as. Now it seems I have to move forward for security reasons. Has someone found a native way to run it as a service/package or do i still have to go the Docker way ? I have zero experience with Docker so I’d prefer not to go that way. If there is a native way, can someone provide a recommended upgrade procedure. I would be very grateful.

The Syncthing package distributed via SynoCommunity is compatible with DSM 7.

You’ll find information on how add SynoCommunity to Package Center as well as information on packages here: https://synocommunity.com/

I’ve been running this package - as have others - for months on DSM 7. You should follow the best practices in this thread on making a backup before you get started.

Good luck!

Hi

OK. Since I am already running Safihre’s latest Version on DSM 6 (latest), i guess by “best backup practices” in this thread you mean:

I’d strongly urge backing up this folder before upgrading DSM - it’s at /volume1/@appstore/syncthing.

Correct ?

First of all, where the folder is depends on which volume you specified when installing the Syncthing package. There is a universal path as well. Second, what you need to back up is the var folder only. It holds the certificate, config and the database.

• That would be /var/packages/syncthing/target/var/ then for DSM 6.
  • And /var/packages/syncthing/var/ when already on DSM 7.

Back up the whole folder (need root permissions) and do it while Syncthing is NOT running.

Does someone knows if syncthing is still working with DSM 7.1?

With DSM 7.1 the nativ package of SynoCommunity and the Docker packages are working.

Unfortunately Kastelo (owner of Syncthing) has no development started of a native package for DSM 7, but has also stopped the development a few months ago for packages for DSM 6. This is unfortunate. There is still the Docker package from Kastelo, which also runs in DSM 7.

If you have only one instance, then go for the package from SynoCommunity, it runs just as reliably and is flawless.

Could someone help me out? I’m a lot confused here. I installed the SynoCommunity Syncthing on the NAS running DSM 7.2. I set up a Syncthing folder on an Android tablet, and then set up the same folder with the SynoCommunity Syncthing on the NAS. All fine. Syncthing reports that the two folders are synced and up to date. Except that I cannot find the folder on the NAS with File Station. It’s as if the folder is hidden somewhere in the ether.

What does the GUI say on the Synology? Expand the folder in the left half and look what it lists for path. You need to make sure that the volume and directory you are sharing are in fact accessible to the user in DSM. Otherwise it might just be hidden. Are you using File Station as an admin user?

Thanks. I’m running as an Admin. File Station shows “Synology” as the highest level folder under Volume1. I have several folders under “Synology” that were set up under Syncthing when I was running DSM 6.x, but no folders that I set up with the SynoCommunity (SC) Syncthing under DSM 7.2. SC Syncthing seems to place the new folders under: /volume1/@appdata/syncthing/ which doesn’t show up in File Station.

In my experience, that’s the default location Syncthing will use on Synology. If you don’t want your synced data to go there (and you probably don’t) you need to change the location in Folder Defaults and/or each time you set up a folder.

The only way to fix the situation you’re in is to delete the folder in Syncthing on your Synology and then set it up again in the correct location. That will leave the existing files around in an abandoned state in the current path. If you want to delete them, you’ll have to SSH into your Synology and do it from a command line since, as far as I know, there’s no way to see that directory from the Synology’s UX.

Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, that explanation sounds about right.

Thanks. I tried that and received the following errors:

Failed to create folder root directory stat /volume1/Tablet/SyncthingTest: permission denied

Error on folder “SyncthingTest” (xxxxx-xxxx): stat /volume1/Tablet/SyncthingTest: permission denied

Loading ignores: lstat /volume1/Tablet/SyncthingTest/.stignore: permission denied

Failed to create folder root directory stat /volume1/Tablet/SyncthingTest: permission denied

Error on folder “SyncthingTest” (xxxxx-xxxx): stat /volume1/Tablet/SyncthingTest: permission denied

I am running as an Admin and Syncthing has read/write permissions to the folder /volume1/Tablet/

the (xxxxx-xxxx) just represents the folder ID assigned by Syncthing.