New Synology DSM 7 | Syncthing package for Synology NAS

That is true, but when some photos are shared in a way that they lose their metadata (social networks, for example), some photo managers, as they cannot find this metadata, use the modification date of the file.

I personally prefer not to lose that original date if possible.

Thanks, I’ll try it calmly.

1 Like

:+1:

SPK runs on DSM 7, current Beta Build 41222

The DSM 7 Release Candidate is out, Build 41882. On my side in the Synology VMM and Safhire Syncthing v1.17.0 is running.

With DSM 7.0 tobe available in just a few days, will we need to do anything to current installs of syncthing, or will the install migrate everything correctly?

Is the install method for DSM 7 the same as we did for earlier DSM 6?

With DSM 7, a new installation is basically the same. The installation directory is also known. In DSM 7, only the data is basically stored in @appdata in the data directory

/volume1/@appdata/syncthing/index-v0.14.0.db/

How this is migrated from DSM 6 to DSM 7, is unclear for me, since I´m using VMM up to now. I could imagine that the DSM 7 installation routine would leave all paths unchanged, then Syncthing would continue to run and may continue with the current setting.

Otherwise I would just move all the data into the named directory.

/volume1/@appdata/syncthing/index-v0.14.0.db/

How does one copy the official app’s config files to this synocommunity fork’s folder, to keep the existing device pairings? DSM doesn’t show this folder in any file management, and even via SSH with my administrator account I can’t access it. I can’t even usermod myself into sc-syncthing group.

In addition, I’m lost now in the duplication of all these (sc-)syncthing(.net) filesystem users/groups and whatnot. Uninstalling the official app doesn’t seem to clean that up, so now configuration has gotten confusing. Is there a TL:DR summary of exactly what permissions this fork needs to function (and what it doesn’t, what’s left over from the official app)? I like to keep config to a minimum surface and trim off leftovers. Can the syncthing group under User & Group in DSM be deleted? The syncthing.net group in share permissions?

The conversation about syncthing on dsm7 is sprawled out and confusing to an outsider, I couldn’t make much sense of where things stand. Since this fork seems to work fine, will whatever it fixed (which I understand is just the compilation to dsm7’s new package format) get merged back upstream and published soon?

Thanks

Since it does not look like there will be an official DSM 7 version at the moment, I recommend that you back up all data in the directory before installing

/volume1/syncthing-data/ (includes the folder index-v0.14.0.db)

as these are then used 1:1 for the new installation:

/volume1/@appdata/syncthing/

Uninstall then the previous package and make sure that all entries relating to Syncthing are removed from the files /etc/group and /etc/passwd. Then make a reboot.

Then install the DSM 7 version of Saphihre (SynoCommunity) and stop the package, delete the contents of the directory

/volume1/@appdata/syncthing/

completely and restore the above backup completly. Then start the package again, everything should work as before. If you want to assign permissions in the DSM, this is only possible via the “local system user” folder per folder.

Thanks for the guide. I’d like to do that but as I mentioned, /volume1/@appdata/syncthing/ is owned by sc-syncthing/sc-syncthing and I can’t seem to get myself into that group, even with my administrator account I can’t touch that directory. It doesn’t show up in file station or anything either. ​Sudo doesn’t seem to be a thing in whatever distro of linux DSM is. How does one gain access to this dir?

You can ssh into your NAS and then, within the ssh session, you can “sudo -i” and that’ll let you into the directory.

This walkthrough is possibly helpful, as are many of the walkthroughs by MariusHosting: How to SSH into a Synology NAS – Marius Hosting

I’ve personally confirmed that this works including elevation with “sudo -i” followed by cd into the syncthing directory

Ah, thanks, sudo works indeed. I thought I had tried it, I must be misremembering another command that doesn’t exist.

1 Like

“Since it does not look like there will be an official DSM 7 version at the moment,” I thought you got syncthing working on dsm 7.

I use the package of SynoCommunity. Also possible is the Docker package.

so it’sworking on dsm 7?

Yes, is running without problems. You will find the package in the package center of DSM 7, if you set the source of SynoCommunity. Is very similar to DSM 6.

thanks!!

To go the route that @Andy is describing, you need to follow the instructions on this page to add SynoCommunity as a package repo, after which you’ll be able to install the version he’s referring to. See this:

I see here that syncthing is listed as not compatible with DSM 7.0. ¿Qué paquetes de terceros son compatibles con DSM 7.0? - Synology Centro de conocimientos

Following this conversation I understand it is working but it’s not easy to update from DSM 6. So the recommendation is to deinstall before updating and reinstall afterwards. Am I right? Is this the “official” recomendation?

If you have installed the newest version of Safihre/SynoCommunity maybe you can upgrade from DSM 6 to DSM 7, since the Safihre version runs on both systems.

It would be good to make a backup of all, to reinstall Syncthing, if it doesnt run in a proper condition after the upgrade.

1 Like

NDY,

So, You probably don’t have the answer but, I’ll ask anyway. On Synology’s “What third-party packages are supported on DSM 7.0?” page (What third-party packages are supported on DSM 7.0? - Synology Knowledge Center). syncthing is listed as “not available”. But, we have an existence proof that it works. Can you make heads or tails of this?

BTW, I wrote to synology about 3 weeks ago and was told to refer to the above page.

Thanks,

Hal

Which package you have installed?

For DSM 6 there are two official SPKs for Synology, from Safihre and Kastelo. The official Syncthing APP listed on Synology is from Kastelo and Safihre is a 3rd party APP.

However, the Kastelo APP in Synology’s official distribution with v1.3.4 is hopelessly out of date, whereas the current version is v1.18.2. So you can’t follow that anyway.

At DSM 7, the situation has changed. In all probability there will be no version of Kastelo that runs on DSM 7. Since Syncthing has not yet presented a functioning APP at Synology, these lines can be seen in the list of the link and they may remain.

Seen in this way, you only have the option of installing the Safihre / SynoCommunity package as a 3rd party APP.

1 Like