(ETA that I cannot get Syncthing running on a new phone, although I have it working on my old phone. AudriusButkevicius says I typed too much with no question. So: tl;dr: what is the proper procedure for installing Syncthing on Android?)
I am finally replacing my old OnePlus 3T with a new Note 10+, and having the devil of a time installing Syncthing and Syncthing-fork. I have the same problems with both.
The install wants to use the DCIM dir and calls it “Camera …” something. I delete that and create a new folder called “Default Folder” and named in the file system as “Sync”. Both are at /Storage/emulated/0/. I do not have an SD card in the phone.
I begin the initialization by changing the device name, allowing operation with mobile data, and a few other option changes.
I create the new Sync / Default Folder with no devices.
I edit the default folder to add a computer device using the camera. It doesn’t get the name, so I enter that manually, then enable “Default Folder”. Several times the two Linux laptops (but never the Mac laptop) have popped up a request on the browser (which is running the Syncthing web page) to add “Default Folder” from the Note 10+, and I have learned the hard way that if I click Yes, the Note 10+ ends up with two “Deafult Folder” folders, with just the one Sync dir, but it has a duplicate “.stfolder (1)” dir, so now I just click “Ignore”.
I have two Linux laptops and one ancient Mac all connected, plus the old OnePlus 3T phone. They all know about the Note 10+. It knows about all them. The Note 10+ says all are up to date. All laptops and the old phone say the Note 10+ is “Syncing (0%, 5.12 GiB)” and they’ve been like that for an hour or more. I’ve tried de-installing Syncthing on the Note 10+, re-installing, reconfiguring from scratch, and I cannot get the phone to actually transfer any files. The three laptops and the old phone update with each other fine.
Everything looks fine …e xcept no file transfers to the Note 10+. Like it’s paused, but the “Pause Folder” toggle is off and greyed out. The four devices also have a greyed out “Pause Device” toggle. None are introducers.
The Note 10+ “DEVICES” tab aperiodically switches the four devices between “Disconnected” and “Up to Date”, and they seem to change their status of the Note 10+ accordingly, between “Syncing (0%, 5.12 Gib)” and “Disconnect”. These statuses don’t change very often.
ETA that I just saw one of the laptops change status from “Disconnected” to “Up to Date” / “Syncing (0%, 5.12 GiB)”.