How to know if I'm connected (Linux GTK GUI)

Thanks for sharing this tips.

Not only I can’t access Synthing local web service but Syncthing can’t access internet if I’m behind a proxy and under a correct proxy configuration (I must remember that web browsers, SpiderOAK, Telegram, etc are working fine with this proxy, but Telegram let me config proxy parameters, for example).

Syncthing can’t work over an http proxy, as it does not use http for its protocol, hence requires either direct TCP access to the internet or via socks proxy.

I understand that browsers are working fine when connecting to the internet, but they are not working fine when accessing localhost, if they still try to route localhost traffic via a proxy, which it seems what they are doing, given you cannot access the web ui locally.

Sorry, you didn’t notice what I wrote before. There is a “no_proxy” environment variable, so it’s not using proxy for localhost (127.0.0.1), so it should work locally.

Anyway, if Synthing can not use http proxies, I never will can use it. It’s a pity.

Thank you anyway

It doesn’t matter: if your browser cannot access Syncthing’s web UI with your proxy configuration, that is a problem with your browser, not with Syncthing. It doesn’t matter whether you think you’ve configured everything correctly: the problem is not with Syncthing, it is between your browser and the proxy.

Even in the case something were wrong between Syncthing and my browsers, limiting Syncthing to use socks proxies will not let me to use Syncthing, cause it will not reach internet. So, can I suggest as a wish to implement this feature?

Impossible. Syncthing does not communicate over HTTP. HTTP is a simple(ish) stateless protocol used to talk to web servers. Syncthing is neither stateless, nor a web server.

no_proxy works in syncthing but it’s irrelevant, as in your case it doesn’t seem to work in the browser, so you are barking up the wrong tree, and probably should go on the browser forums asking why the browsers do not respect no_proxy.

We are talking about two non related questions.

1. Problem accesing from web browser to Syncthing on localhost (that I’ll check later)
  2. Syncthing is not able to access internet in a LAN with only an HTTP proxy (that is the case).

So the first problem is irrelevant if Syncthing will not work even if I get access to Syncthing thru any web browser.

Then, I ask again, if are there any plans to get Syncthing to work thru http proxies too, that really what I need to know. All other issues are not relevant if this functionality is not available for HTTP proxies environments.

Thank you

As above:

1 Like

@AudriusButkevicius @canton7 I have a suggestion here, perhaps it does not exactly do what ticket title says, however it might actually partially fulfill the request. Would it be nice to have SyncTrayzor taskbar icon gray color when all remote devices are in “Disconnected” state? Surely this can be due to remote devices not being online. But also this will get the attention of a user to check the UI to see if everything is fine. Also to inform the user that as for now syncing is not happening.

I have not deep skills in protocols, so I don’t understand why you justify that Syncthing do not communicate thru HTTP proxy cause is a stateless protocol and not socks. What’s the problem on using an HTTP proxy? All programs that I use let me choose an HTTP proxy at least. Other let me choose between HTTP or SOCKS. I’m talking about programs similar like Dropbox, SpiderOAK or even MEGA. If it’s not a technical problem and is a Syncthing developers choice, I only can suggest the HTTP proxy implementation. :wink:

It is a technical issue.

Look at this table for an indication of the number of different protocols out there. Only those rows which are used for HTTP (notably 80, 443, and 8080, but also see 8384) can use a HTTP proxy, because only those rows use HTTP.

Everything else, e.g. FTP, SSH, SMTP, IMAP, POP3, Gopher, SFTP, DHCP, NTP, and many many many more, cannot use a HTTP proxy, because they are NOT HTTP.

If you don’t understand an explanation of why Syncthing cannot talk over HTTP, I’m afraid you just have to accept it. You can’t say “I don’t understand any of this, but I’m sure it can be made to work”.

I’m not an expert in … anything, for sure. I only can talk about what I use, what I know and how it’s working. Maybe I’m wrong, of course, but I understand that all applications I mentioned are using my HTTP Proxy (using 3128 port, Squid) as a way to redirect (not as an VPN, naturally) their messages outside my LAN. Maybe my problem is that I don’t understand what the difference between Syncthing and the other sharing applications (I will not mention they again cause no need to publicy them) that is the reason cause by which they can use HTTP Proxies and Syncthing can’t. I will be happy knowing if (in my eyes) Syncthing is so different (for good) that I’ll can never propose to use it in our LAN.

Thank you again and excuse my ignorance

Yes, Syncthing is sufficiently different that it cannot use HTTP.

I’m not an expert in proxying, but from what I read on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_tunnel it appears that a HTTP proxy can easily be used to proxy a plain TCP (non-http) connection (if the proxy supports TLS, if not there’s not much you can do), it’s just the connection establishing that has to be performed a little different (and needs a single real HTTP request + response, before the connection get’s established). Afterwards syncthing can probably do it’s usual TLS handshake trough the proxy. Major problem could be that SOME proxys only allow ports 80/443.

So technically it appears possible to implement, altough maybe it’s not 100% ideal and straightforward.

Sure, yet proxies usually have some sort of timeout which makes it mostly unusable, as having re-establish TLS, re-exchange indexes, erc.

Anyways, sure, there might be some hack to make it work, but who gives a damn about this to implement it, that’s the better question.

Ok. So it’s possible, but it’s hard to get it working without problems.

Thank you

Regards and good job!

I was considering exactly this for Syncthing Tray - at least as an optional behavior. However, I didn’t put any effort into it so far. This is because my Syncthing Tray shows a tool-tip when hovering above the icon anyways. It contains an info like “Connected to … and …” or “Not connected to any other devices.”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.