Dropping index entry for ... contains invalid path separator

I just got the following warning:

2018-04-06 11:31:08: Dropping index entry for Skype/C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\94db313a-c5fd-4aac-8ddf-5b02cfb3c76f_20180406_113030260.jpg, contains invalid path separator 

It seems that the correct path was prefixed with “Skype/” … What’s happening here?

Version: v0.14.46, Windows (64 bit)

Greetings Fino;

p.s. a similar error was mentioned here:

That’s bad stuff. I suspect one of the components in that full path is a symlink of some kind and the filesystem watcher gets confused and we accept a path that we shouldn’t…

This bug might already be fixed. On your Windows box, can you upgrade to the latest dev build? https://build.syncthing.net/viewLog.html?buildId=18981&tab=artifacts&buildTypeId=Syncthing_BuildWindows

You might need to remove the index-v0.14.0.db database or run syncthing -reset-database once to get rid of the invalid entries as well.

I have 2 Windows Machines and one Rapsi ARM.

The first win machine is on read-only and the second win machine showed the error.

I don’t use any symlinks in this folder. At least no unix-type symlinks.

There might be Windows type “junctions” in that folder (by default) though.

But i haven’t seen this before and using this setup for a while now. I guess for now - if nothing breaks we can just ignore it … unless of course you have an idea what the problem is an can fix it easily.

Greetings Fino;

Sweet. But unless there is any urgent reason i’d rather just wait for the next release then. Thanks!

Depends on how urgent you consider the fact that the files are not syncing. :slight_smile:

Ok, this is happening more often now and seems to prevent the folder from syncing. Also syncthing seems to use up a lot of CPU (probably caused by this). All other folders are up-to-date.

So i will go for the dev-build you mentioned. Thanks again!

With the new version (without resetting the index though) it still happens:

2018-04-07 23:06:11: Dropping index entry for Skype/C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\94db313a-c5fd-4aac-8ddf-5b02cfb3c76f_20180406_113030260.jpg, contains invalid path separator
2018-04-07 23:12:21: Dropping index entry for Skype/C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\94db313a-c5fd-4aac-8ddf-5b02cfb3c76f_20180406_113030260.jpg, contains invalid path separator 

But it seems to be only this one file though. But of course could be that the first file covers the rest of them … like “abort on first error” or so.

I’ll try resetting the index now.

When i try this: syncthing quits instantly without any output.

I have seen this command somewhere earlier, did you mean this one?

syncthing -reset-deltas

I just found: --help actually lists this command.
Do i have to do this while another syncthing instance is running?
Or do i have to start syncthing normally after doing it for it to take effect?

Ok, after restarting it now, syncthing scans all folders.
Looks like the reset worked. Well then … let’s see if the problem is gone now …
This might take a while. I have a lot for it to scan.

Bad news: Does not seem to help.
Even before the scans finished i got this again:

2018-04-07 23:53:20: Dropping index entry for Skype/C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\94db313a-c5fd-4aac-8ddf-5b02cfb3c76f_20180406_113030260.jpg, contains invalid path separator
2018-04-07 23:57:26: Dropping index entry for Skype/C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\94db313a-c5fd-4aac-8ddf-5b02cfb3c76f_20180406_113030260.jpg, contains invalid path separator

Version: v0.14.46+32-gcf4d7ff, Windows (32 bit)

One more idea: Do i have to update all clients?
Or would it be enough to do this on the one with the errors?

p.s. it’s probably unimportant, but i just noticed: the dev build is 32bit, before i had 64bit.

You probably have to run the dev version on all devices and reset the index/database on all devices simultaneously (stop all syncthings, reset all databases, start all syncthings.

I don’t think a simultaneous reset everywhere should be needed as these index entries are dropped and this not accepted by other devices. More likely the underlying problem isn’t actually fixed. We should look hard at that before the .47 release next week…

Isn’t the dev build run on the wrong device? Lets say the ...Dropping index entry... log lines are observed on device A. This line is logged on an incoming index (update), thus the file info with the incorrect path was introduced on another device (B). Therefore resetting the database and using the dev version should be done on B. If the original cause is fixed (I still assume yes), we’d need to do another db transition filtering these files out (or fixing them up if possible) to get rid of them for everyone - self-healing db would be wonderful :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.