Click Open Sync Directory

On the Syncthing html web interface, after clicking on a folder in the folder list, the line expands to 7 details, including the Folder Path.

Wouldn’t it be great if I could click on that line and that path opened in a file browser? …similar to doing a file search on the operating system, and then right clicking on “Open target directory”

There’s an old issue for this, somewhere. It boils down to there being no cross-platform way to open a file browser at a particular location; what happens if it’s a server with no web interface; what happens if syncthing’s running as a user that isn’t logged in; etc.

If you’re using Windows, then SyncTrayzor adds a button that does just this.

Related:

I understand “cross-platform way” is the way the Syncthing development team wants to do features.

Rather than avoid a good idea totally, an alternative would be to do a good feature on any platform that can support it.

I’ll go look at Synctrayzor, which seems to do exactly that. Wish I had the skill to whip something like that out. Any reason why this couldn’t be “native” Syncthing on a Windows machine?

The following is just my view: Syncthing is focused on its core business, which is syncing on all plattforms. The WebGUI is there to configure and get the status of Syncthing. Already by being a “Webapp” and by having to work on all supported plattforms, it simply cannot be integrated into all platforms to give a “native feeling”. That’s what all the GUI wrappers are for: Synctrayzor looks just like any tray app on Windows, syncthing-gtk integrates well with linux with gtk centered DEs, there is QSyncthingTray and syncthingtray (by Marthus for identification) for QT based DEs and syncthing-macosx for OSX.

That is not to say that no GUI improvement should happen and if there is a clean way of doing a platform specific “open in filemanager” in the WebGUI, I would personally welcome that. It is just not a priority in my opinion as, again, this fits much better in the realm of (platform specific) GUI wrappers.

1 Like

I think you’re still missing part of the problem, I’m afraid. Even on Windows, the user could run Syncthing under a user account, or as a service. I don’t think there’s any good way for Syncthing to tell whether it’s being run as a service or not. However it won’t be able to start a file browser when running as a service.

Having a button which only works half the time will cause thousands of confused users and a considerable number of support requests.

Similarly on other platforms: Syncthing can’t just tell that it’s on Linux, and so the “Open Folder” button takes some specific action. It will have to do different things to start a file browser when running in different desktop environments, so it will need a way to detect this, and it could also be running as a service, again.

If you can put forward a comprehensive list of different scenarios, how to reliably detect each, how to open the file browser on the supported ones, then this could possibly be considered. You’d also have to be prepared to help with the inevitable wave of issues when something goes a bit wrong :wink:.

I’m not sure what you mean here I’m afraid. What’s “this”?

Having a link which copies the path to the folder to the user’s clipboard would be something that’s fairly cross-platform, and might be worth considering.

It’s also the case that since the UI is a web UI, Syncthing does not need to be running on the same computer that shows the GUI. I’m not sure how to reliably detect this situation and handle it.

@Canton7, loading the location into the clipboard would be sufficient, IMHO. Since it’s text only, that seems to be cross-platform. Actually using the text could be as easy as manually opening a browser or file explorer and pasting the text.

@calmh, don’t detect different OSes or which computer. If on a different computer, with different syntax issues, then buyer beware. When pasted and the syntax is wrong, it will be eminently obvious. Or, I suppose you could add 2 or 3 configuration choices - preload the clipboard with Windows-ish syntax or Linux-ish syntax or Apple-ish syntax. You could go way out and make a user-enter-able template that teaches Syncthing how to prep the clipboard load. But that would be way more than necessary.