API offline but Syncthing "Running (Offline)"

Dear experts;

I have installed Syncthing 1.18.1-1 for the Mac set up as described in a separate post (Configuration to restrict syncing only when on same network). The issue described herein was moved from that post to here as I thought it warranted a separate topic and because the behaviour is odd and I cannot figure it out. Let me describe:

I have a Macbook running OSX 11.5.2, an iMac running OSX 10.13.6 and also have added a Macbook running 10.13.6. Syncing works on all systems BUT there’s an issue with the API on the iMac, and only on the iMac. The issue cannot be due to the version of OSX because it does not occur on the Macbook running the same version of OSX.

Detailed description:

The Syncthing icon in the iMac’s menu bar has an explanation mark:

icon

Whereas on the other two systems there is no such exclamation mark.

Click on the Syncthing icon in the iMac’s menu bar and it shows a yellow dot beside the text “Running (Offline)”, and clicking on that shows a green dot beside the text “Syncthing Service (Running)” and a red dot beside the text “API”

imac-running

Whereas on the other two Macs click on the Syncthing icon and instead of a yellow dot beside the text “Running (Offline)” there’s a green dot beside the text “Online”, and clicking on that shows a green dot beside the text “Syncthing Service (Running)” and a green dot beside the text “API (Online)”.

Click on the Syncthing icon in the iMac’s menu bar and scroll down to “Folders” and nothing pops up to the right of the pointer:

syncthing-folders

Whereas on the other two Macs do the same thing and the name of the shared folder pops up to the right of the pointer.

Summary/Request for assistance:

Related forum posts suggest uninstall/reinstall Syncthing and regenerating the API Key. Neither of those actions helped.

I am unable to get the API online/running on iMac (OSX 10.13.6) or figure out why the API is offline.

I welcome pointers, comments and/or recommendations from those with expertise beyond my skill set.

1 Like

I’m hoping someone will have some thoughts on this item.

I think its best to raise it with the maintainer of the integration, as it seems that the issue is with the integration and not syncthing itself.

Thanks for the reply. I have a bit more information which I’ll post here in hopes someone might tweak on to something:

I can see the API Key in “Settings” - > “General”.

Click on the Syncthing icon in the iMac’s menu bar and scroll down to select “Preferences” opens up a separate “Syncthing Preferences” window which shows the “API Key” and a “Test” button with a red dot. However, the API Key does not match the API Key in Settings!

syncthing-select-pref

If I copy the API Key from Settings into the Syncthing Preferences and then click “Test” button the dot turns green - seemingly to indicate all is well.

syncthing-test-ok

This apparently successful test does not remove the explanation mark in the menu bar icon.

Closing and re-opening Syncthing Preferences shows the API Key has reverted to a value that does not match the API Key in Settings. Stopping/closing and restarting/opening Syncthing still shows this mismatch.

I wonder if/where Syncthing might be retaining an invalid API Key.

Recommendations and pointers would be most welcome.

1 Like

SUCCESS!

I got it in my mind to reboot the iMac (recall this is a 2011 running OSX 10.13.6) and now, for reasons completely unknown to me, the issues described in this post have resolved and Syncthing 1.18.1-1 on this iMac is behaving the same as on the others.

Go figure!

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.