All settings lost

When I opened the GUI today, I had a recommendation to enable a username and password for the GUI. I did so, and switched on HTTPS while I was there. After navigating back to the GUI using HTTP, all settings were lost. I.e. all peers, shared folders, etc. The GUI looks like it did after initial installation. I tried removing the username and password and switching off HTTPS, but that hasn’t helped. Restarting Syncthing hasn’t helped either.

EDIT: I think the username and password thing was a red herring. When I look at the GUI on another device, it tells me that the last time the problematic device was seen was yesterday. If I look at the logs of the problematic device at that time, I see one log in %localappdata%\Syncthing\syncthing.log with the last entry at the same time the device was last seen, and I see another log in %windir%\System32\Syncthing\syncthing.log with the first entry shortly after.

It’s almost as if Syncthing has switched from %localappdata%\Syncthing to %windir%\System32\Syncthing and lost all its configuration in the process.

v1.10.0, Windows (64 bit) “Fermium Flea”

Build 2020-09-15

I managed to work around the problem by shutting down Syncthing, copying %localappdata%\Syncthing\config.xml to %windir%\System32\Syncthing\config.xml, and restarting Syncthing.

But this is very concerning. Does anyone know why this happened? Should I be concerned about the same thing happening on my other devices?

Another twist to the story: this is about the same time that I upgraded Windows 10 from 1909 to 2004.

I suspect you are launching syncthing differently than what you did before. Windir is usually used when syncthing runs as a windows service, and app data is used when it runs as the user.

I haven’t touched Syncthing for a long time. It’s been running in the background and just doing its job.

I definitely didn’t take any action to try and make it run as Windows service, and it does not show as a service in the list of Windows services.

I checked the running syncthing.exe process and it is running in the context of my user account.

BTW there are two syncthing.exe processes running. Is that normal?

Yes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.