Wrong syncronization status

From syncthing web I added a remove device which was offline: I had the device id and I put it in the proper place.

After that I defined a folder to syncronize with the remote device I had just created.

After a few seconds, the folder bar said (and still says) “Syncronized”. But the device never went online, and so it surely isn’t synced.

I don’t think it’s the user’s expected behaviour, because the user wants to be sure that its files are synced. When the remote device is offline, syncthing cannot say that everything is synced, should say “Unknown syncronitations status”, or “remote device(s) offline” or something similar.

Surely “Syncronized” is wrong if the user modifies some local file and remote is offline.

If remote is offline and no file has been modified locally, the only thing that the app knows is that files were syncronized at the last time remote was online.

I understand that things are complicated, but the current behaviour deceives the user and gives him an unexistene and unjustified certainty.

This would mean it’s always unknown as soon as one of the devices is offline. Imagine you have 5 devices, 1 is offline. To me it makes sense to want to know what your status is to the remaining 4, rather than unknown for all of them as soon as one goes offline.

This would mean it’s always unknown as soon as one of the devices is offline. Imagine you have 5 devices, 1 is offline. To me it makes sense to want to know what your status is to the remaining 4, rather than unknown for all of them as soon as one goes offline.

A string like “4 Syncronized, 1 offline” with a tooltip showing the offline/synced hosts?

Right, and what if the status is different for all 4 of them? One is in sync, one is 30%, one is 70% etc?

You can see how this turns into a UX nightmare.

Anyways, the fact that the device is offline is a clear indicator of that we don’t know what that devices state is, and that we are synchronised with the state we are aware of (and we can’t b le synchronised with change we are not aware off by definition).

You are aware of the bottom right of the web UI I assume? All the information you care about is there: Which devices are connected and if they are, whether or not they are synchronized. The left part is about the local state and it is “up to date” if it has the newest version of all files that any other devices has/had when it was last seen. That’s just how decentralized sync works. Nothing trying to deceive anyone there.

1 Like

I think you’re mistaking what folder status means. “Syncronized” in folder status bar means that the folder content is current as far as Syncthing is aware. On the other hand, “Syncronized” in device status bar means that that device has all the current files (as far a Syncthing is aware).

“Syncronized” folder status was never meant to mean that all the devices have it syncronized.

Edit: @imsodin was quicker to say exactly that.