White-listed wifi bug

Hi!

Here is a requested log file for issue #1466. But I think, the change of configuration haven’t included into log. (I’ve restarted the app by our menu item “Restart”.)

syncting-log.txt (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Hmm, SyncthingNative appears in the log so it should be running on your whitelisted wifi…

As I remarked on the issue on GitHub, according to your screenshots I believe that your location services are disabled (2nd screenshot). Unfortunately Android nowadays requires location to be turned on in order to be able to read SSID.

I don’t like/want keep the location service turned on always. :frowning_face:

That bug won’t fixable by Syncting code?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any solution to this, since it’s an intentional Android limitation. There may be some hacks, but I have not researched them.

It would help if you could confirm that turning on location services resolves this. Because in this case we at least know the cause for sure.

Ok, I will try tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi!

Yes, it works, when I torn on the GPS. But it’s not the best mode. :disappointed_relieved:

Hi, unfortunately that’s Google’s requirement and not Syncthing’s.

Same issue here. I don’t get why Syncthing can access an SSID to show it in the setup, and then can’t access the very same SSID to check whether it is supposed to run or not.

Because SSID can be used to identify your current location, that’s why it’s part of the location permission in android.

Here is an example to make it easier to understand. If you are in the vicinity of H&M store Wifi, facebook and similarly invasive apps could tell you were there an can show you ads.

I get why SSIDs are considered location information. What I don’t get is why Syncthing can access the SSID for configuration purposes without location services beeing switched on, but it can’t to determine whether another sync node is reachable or not .

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.