Which value for inotify max_users_watches?

Hi,

I am not really sure which value to use for the inotify limit – on the server I have 7.685.636 files, and 2.142.642 folders shared in total – with two shared folders, and the warning to raise the limit is from the bigger one with locally 5.980.180 files and 1.309.771 folders. I set the inotify limit generally in the sysctl.conf to 3072000 and directly to /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches with the same value. No restart or whatever so far. How high must be the value in this case with about 2.200.000 folders and 8.000.000 files? Maybe I missed something, output of sysctl fs.notify is:

fs.inotify.max_queued_events = 16384
fs.inotify.max_user_instances = 1024
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 3072000

Thanks, Matthias

Higher than the amount of directories, i.e. > 2’200’000, should be good. You might also have some open from other programs, so add some margin to that, but I’d expect 3’072’000 to be enough with your numbers. I don’t know what could cause the warning to persist, but restarting syncthing and/or the system might help.

After the scan right now I’ll stop / start Syncthing and have a look. The system itself as second option later today or on the weekend if it doesn’t work with the Syncthing service.

Restarting the Syncthing service did solve that issue. Thanks for the hint, Simon!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.