Where to find the log files -- frequent sync-conflict files

9 computers syncing 154,000 items at 482 GB, mostly pdfs. 3 of the syncing computers are mobile laptops. Except for the file server which is linux, the others are Win 10. 10 office computers work directly with the file server and don’t use syncthing. We’ve been syncing like this for almost two years now.

I somewhat frequently get sync-conflict files. I run a bash script on the server every hour looking for files with sync-conflict in the name. The script will email me if it finds sync-conflict files. Once a week it seems some files are found.

I think, but am not sure, the sync-conflict files are coming from one or more of the laptops. I try to get the users to turn off their laptop before moving to a new network location but I think they are closing the lid then taking it home or to another office.

I’m led to believe it is a laptop because the most recent batch of sync-conflict files came about a few days ago. I restarted syncthing on one of the laptops because it had stopped. I think it had been stopped for a week. Once back running there were these sync-conflict files.

Clearly, as I’ve read here before, I need to look at the log files.

I seem to be clueless on where to find the log file. The primary source of synced files is on a linux file server (computers in the office the server directly, computers are home or laptops in the field use synced files among themselves and with the file server).

Where do I find the log files? Do I need to look at log files on all the computers? What am I looking for within the log files? Do I need to tell Syncthing to log anything specific?

Sorry for asking what must be very basic questions, but I did read the manual some time ago, searched this site, and am now asking for assistance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

John in Oregon USA :persevere:

1 Like

syncthing -paths

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html

Where do Syncthing logs go to?

Syncthing logs to stdout by default. On Windows Syncthing by default also creates syncthing.log in Syncthing’s home directory (run syncthing -paths to see where that is). Command line option -logfile can be used to specify a user-defined logfile.

On linux logs go to stdout (there is no file), unless you run syncthing via some service manager which puts them somewhere.

And as mentioned in my response above, you can specify your log location manually if you are starting syncthing somewhere that isn’t capturing stdout:

Command line option -logfile can be used to specify a user-defined logfile.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.