What is "metadata/release.sig"?

Hi,

I’m currently planning a new MSI package with advanced switches like “relay, global discovery on/off”, “auto update on/off” and wonder wheter the “metadata/release.sig” file is mandatory and required or if it doesn’t need to be bundled. I searched on the forum and didn’t find any topic containing this filename. I saw some community packages in the past flying by where a file with similar content “syncthing.exe.sig” lay nearby the “syncthing.exe” and interpreted it like mandatory.

I hope you can easily answer my question :slight_smile: . Btw is this something upgrade or security related?

Kind regards

Catfriend1

It’s the release signature, verified by the auto upgrade mechanism.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve made an experiment and took syncthing.exe (v1.4.2-release) and put it alone to a test directory. Turned upgrade on in the settings menu and the update to v1.5.0-rc.2 appeared. After restarting via web UI, the update was successfully applied and the version read v1.5.0-rc.2 . So I do not need this release.sig to be in place?

Btw.: I made another observation. If I repeat my test, start fresh off and set the config option “autoUpgradeIntervalH” from “12” to “0” through the Web UI, the UI tells me Syncthing requires a restart. I click “restart” and then the value is reverted to “12”. If I enter “1” instead, it is correctly saved and persisted across Syncthing restarts.

It needs to be in place in the package for the auto upgrade to accept that package.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. That’s the reason why it is in the zip file but not required on disk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.