watching is not supported

I think I must be overlooking something simple… Maybe an android setting or permission I need to toggle(?) I’ve been using Syncthing-Fork on my android phone and LOVE it for my home server running windows 10 <> phone. I use Broadcast Intents via Macrodroid to sync it based on my liking.

But with server <> ChromeOS utilizing the same setup (using the same mobile Android apps, NOT Linux), I get a warning in the Web GUI on the chromebook, “Filesystem Watcher Errors” “For the following folders an error occurred while starting to watch for changes. It will be retried every minute, so the errors might go away soon. If they persist, try to fix the underlying issue and ask for help if you can’t.”

I’ve powerwashed the chromebook and tried a couple different syncthing folder locations. “Internal Storage\SyncthingShare” (same as my mobile) and “Downloads\SyncthingShare” (since sometimes ChromeOS seems finicky about letting me see root folder from various apps while “downloads” seems to always be visible.

Any suggestions?

I’m using Syncthing to get my Obsidian projects synced.

I’m getting a very similar error. After much struggle, I have made my two Android phones and my Mac sync up. But I can’t get my Chromebook to do so; I get the error “watching is not supported” (sic, no space after the folder name before the word “watching”). I’ve granted it every permission it’s asked for.

The filesystem might simply not support it and you need to use periodic scans (it will still work but change detection will have much higher latency).

Update: It actually does appear to be propagating but going from the Chromebook to the Mac or the Android phones takes much longer than from those other devices.

I’d disable watching on that devicd and set the rescan interval to 60s or so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.