Very slow syncing compared to ftp

I just installed syncthing for the first time and think it’s quite awesome. However, for some reason syncthing is massively slow compared to ftps. With ftps I get between 700KB/s and 2MB/s from the 2 machines I have linked with syncthing. With syncthing I get 100-300KB/s. Is there possibly something I need to tweak to fix this?

Even just now when syncing with syncthing at 200KB/s, I opened an ftps of the same file and was getting 900KB/s on TOP of what syncthing was already doing.

Thanks !

The overhead of managing a lot of small files is probably affecting it. If it was one larger file, it should be much faster.

Hi, thanks for responding.

It’s actually just 3 files. 2.5gb total.

As a test, I loaded btsync and it was getting 1MB/s while syncthing was getting 145KB/s. Something doesnt seem right.

I much prefer to use syncthing over btsync, hopefully I can get this fixed. Thanks

I have 500-800 kB/s syncing from a raspberry pi 2 to a raspberry pi 1 (both with encrypted data partitions, partition where the index of syncthing is not) so your ~200 kB/s sounds wrong if your devices are not even more underpowered, leave the GUI closed (check speed with another tool) and wait for some minutes.

At the beginning sync is always slower for me (100 kB/s maybe), but after a while it gets faster. Probably it is slow while the receiving device still processes the index and as soon as it is done it gets faster.

I let the entire 2.5gb transfer take place, it ended up averaging around 200KB/s, i did some other transfers with ftp periodically during the transfer and got 900KB/s-1.8MB/s when I tested it. It took a couple hours to complete, it never got faster.

Both machines are powerful servers, one a linux server and one a freenas server. cpu never went over 2% on either server.

I see that syncthing breaks the files up in to chunks, is it possible to tell syncthing to transfer multiple chunks at once? this usually works best for my peering to ovh where the server is located. for example, if i download a 1gb movie, i might get 1MB/s, but if i download 10 rars for that movie at the same time, i get 10 x 900KB/s.

We already do that, in advanced config for the folder, you can increase the number of pullers from 16 to something more.

So you are saying by default I get 16 concurrent transfers? I am surprised I am not seeing more speed then.

I tracked part of the issue to peering with ovh, right now it’s terrible. However, it’s still slower than btsync for some reason.

Does syncthing support proxies? If I could use a socks proxy it would greatly improve the situation.

Well people are getting 15Mb-20Mb easy, so I am sure your issue is somewhere else.

BTSync uses UDP, where as syncthing uses TCP, hence why it’s potentially different.

Also, no, it does not support proxies. You should wrap your interface in a VPN if you need to alter the routing.

Thanks, I am going to give syncthing another shot when peering improves, right now its hard to test it with the peering so bad.

What do you mean by peering? And what’s the definition of bad?

peering means t he connectivity between my isp and the remote isp (verizon to ovh).

my defiintion of bad is right now i am getting 150-350KB/s, normally I get 2-4MB/s.

If I go through my ovh canada vpn, I can get 3-4MB/s right now, but I get 150-350KB/s directly, so i consider that quite bad.

Sorry, but you expect syncthing to fix your link issues? I am not sure I understand what you are expecting to happen/improve.

No that is why I said I would try syncthing again in the future when the peering is resolved.

Right, misunderstood your statement.

Did you said the default of folder puller is 16? because I see mine’s saying 0, does that mean unlimit?

No, it means “use default setting” which is 16 ;).

I’ve also have a pull request in place which supposedly adds socks5 support.

socks5 support would be awesome, it would make it much easier for me to work around my peering issue on my btsync isntance on freenas.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.