Very low LAN speed, is it due to the high CPU usage?

I am syncing between a computer (windows) and a raspberry 2 (raspbian), and what intrigues me is that while both machines can get 1.4 Mb/s connecting at internet (which is the bottleneck), the communication between them is only of 200-500 K/s.

I can see that the raspberry goes from 90 to 95% in the CPU usage, still never at 100% (this was the case with the raspberry previous model).

Then, I’d expect (wifi n) to have like about 10 Mb/s, or at least the same speed as with internet. Am I right to expect this when using syncthing?

Has it finished scanning, etc? It should improve with 0.12, but yes, you can expect this, as you are running syncthing basically on a clever calculator.

Ok, thanks!

After a while you should be at least over 1 MB/s with GUI closed. I did not do a good speed test on a raspberry pi 2, but syncing from a pi 2 to a pi 1 I got 500 Kb/s with the pi 2 only using one CPU at maximum or even below. At the beginning it is slower because the index has to be processed but after a few minutes the speed got up.

Close the GUI, wait for a long time and check speed and cpu usage with iftop and top and not with the syncthing GUI, 200-500KB/s is too slow for a pi 2 (except if you maybe sync only a lot of small files). And also like @AudriusButkevicius said, try v0.12. Especially if you sync a lot of data/files you will have problems with v0.11 because of ping timeouts on slow devices.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.