Using Syncthing on Synology with multiple users

I am running Syncthing on my Synology NAS to sync files between my laptop and the NAS.

The way my folder/permissions structure is set up on the NAS is that I have one overall Shared folder, and then within that folder there are several “common” folders that all users can read/write to, as well as separate user folders. For the separate user folders, I have them set up such that all users can read them, but each folder only has write access for its respective user.

I realized that Syncthing ends up giving a loophole where any user can modify the contents of a different user’s folder. For example, let’s say I’m User1, and there is also a User2. In the User1 folder, only I can write to it, but User2 can only read. However, there are subfolders within User1 that are shared with Syncthing so that I can sync them with my laptop. However, although User2 cannot directly write to the User1 folder, User2 can set up Syncthing on a separate laptop and add the same subfolders, and then write to them by writing to the synced folders on the laptop.

Is there any way around this? Trying to figure out if there is a way to make Syncthing work with multiple users… I would also like User2 to be able to set up synced folders as well, separate from User1’s synced folders, but I don’t see a way to do this…

Would it be possible to do this by running multiple instances of Synching on the NAS? If so, does anyone know how to do this?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.