Using Synching with three devices.

Being new to synching I have a question concerning the use of synching with three devices. Here is my setup:

Device 1 is my seedbox configured as send only for tv shows and movies. It sends data to my other two receive only devices.

Device 2 is a Mac computer that is setup with synching and Sonarr as receive only for tv shows.

Device 3 is a NAS device that is setup with synching and Radarr as receive only for movies.

My problem is when I download a movie or tv show the data gets synced to both devices.

How can I configure it where when I download a tv show it only sync to to device 2 and not device 3 and same applies to when I download a movie it only syncs to device 3 and not device 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You’ll have to use Ignore Patterns on device 2 & 3 to select which files you want to download. So for example, if you have 2 separate folders for movies and series in your share, you could do it like this:

Device 2: I’ll assume the folder for your movies is called “Movies” and is located in the root of the shared folder (in the same folder as the hidden “.stfolder” folder). Then you’ll have to add the ignore rule: /Movies

This means that this device will ignore that folder and not download it at all.

Device 3: You’ll have to do the same here, but instead ignoring the folder with your series. I’ll assume it’s called “Shows”, so you’ll have to use the ignore pattern /Shows

Don’t hesitate asking if my post is unclear or you need more help :slightly_smiling_face:

Alternatively, if you already have /Movies and /Shows as separate folders, you can add them separately to Device 1 and share them with only one other device.

Thank you so much for your quick response.Below is what I had written in the ignore patterns on both device two and three prior to our conversation:

/tv-sonarr/.r* /movies-radarr/.r*

I have changed it to the following:

Device two:

/movies-radarr /tv-sonarr/**.r*

Device three:

/tv-sonarr /movies-radarr/**.r*

The only thing I am not sure is where the .stfolder folder is located and how to check.

On my Mac (device two) my tv-sonarr folder is under /user/marine/sync/whatbox torrents

On my NAS (device 3) my movies-radarr folder is under /share/download/torrent_seedbox

I will let you know how it works and if I need more help. You have been great and I can’t thank you enough.

Another question if you don’t mind?

I have a second NAS (device 4) that I also Use for movies. Can device three access device 4 or will I have to install synching and Radarr on device 4?

Glad I could be of help :smiley:

Do you want to exclude the entire folder or specific files? Because those rules are excluding files, not the folder.

Is /movies-radarr/tv-sonarr and /tv-sonarr/movies-radarr the paths containing your files? If so you would want your ignore rules to be

/movies-radarr/tv-sonarr
/tv-sonarr/movies-radarr

However, all this depends on where the top-most folder is.

The .stfolder is a hidden folder which specifies that a folder is a Syncthing share, in other words, this is the top-most (root) folder. You can check the path to the root in the GUI where it says “Folder path”.

So let’s say for example that your “Folder path” in the GUI is C:\Users\bm5519\Sync. This means that the folder called Sync is the root folder which contains all the shared files. Now inside that folder, let’s say you have a folder called foo, and inside that one you have bar. bar contains all files you don’t want. So to ignore bar you would have to specify your ignore pattern as

/foo/bar

As you see, do not include the root folder Sync in the pattern.

So if whatbox torrents is your root, and inside that you have /movies-radarr/tv-sonarr, then the ignore rule is simply

/movies-radarr/tv-sonarr

Now that folder won’t be synced

I have never used a NAS, so I’m not sure, sorry :confused:

This post became quite long and complex, so tell me if it doesn’t work.

Well, everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you again for all of your help.

1 Like

No worries!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.