Usecase schoolserver

Hi,

I am using syncthing personally for a long time. Secondly ( :wink: ) I am teacher and we have at school a linux server for managing the local network. Nearly one hundred pupils had get a linux notebook from school and I am looking for a synchronization tool (nextcloud is not possible) for them.

There is only the need for one folder with the same name (e.g. Ablage) in every homefolder of a pupil. So the pupils do not need access to the configuration on the server. Ideally, I prepare these configurations and the pupils have no access to the webinterface.

The notebooks are ā€œunder controlā€ of us administrators. So we can manage the configuration there too.

Now my question: Have someone runnng such a setup? Or, is it possible to use syncthing this way?

Regards, Helge

We use Syncthing in a school but only to sync files between classroom computers (and a few notebooks but those belong to the teachers). In your case, the main problem is probably to protect Syncthing from being accessed by students. You will need to lock everything down, so that the students canā€™t access neither the GUI nor the config/database files on the disk. They also mustnā€™t be able to kill the Syncthing background process.

Also, just one server for a hundred computers may be a bit fragile, e.g. if it goes down, the whole synchronisation will stop. This is assuming that you donā€™t want to connect the student machines with one another.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.