upgrading Synology NAS from DS115j to DS220+

I have two folders set up for syncing on the old DS115j. One i plan to keep on this small NAS, and one i need to move. Each folder has a different group of remote devices. If i try to copy the config from this to the new machine, i assume the remotes would think these are the same machines, vs two machines, and cause trouble if both are still used. Due to this, am i better off to unlink and remove the folder the old NAS cant handle, and have the new NAS start fresh from scratch?

FYI: the folder that needs to be moved was overloading the tiny RAM and CPU of the old NAS due to 300,000 files. (it never exceeded 35% synced, despite having the folder copied to it from the start)

It’s always best to start from scratch.

The folder that i hope to keep using on the old NAS is shared with remote PC’s that i don’t have ready access to.

Getting them added to a new divice would be difficult at best.

If I do need to move the entire settup to the new device so that the sharing is already linked, how do i do that?

That’s the usecase of the introducer flag :wink:

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/introducer.html

wouldn’t i need to get to all remote devices to set a device as a introducer?

I don’t think that you can avoid making changes to those remote devices. But if you want to avoid this in the future, you should promote your device(s) to introducers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.