Updating in environments with multiple devices

Updating in environments with multiple devices can mean effort in installations that require manual intervention. These are installations that have self-contained packages, such as Docker, SPK for Synology, MSI for Windows. Their binaries are designed to prevent automatic updates. With the MSI may is a parameter thing during the installation if is known.

Don’t think wrong about, the closed package concept is good and consistent, but maybe it can be refined without having to use various tricks. SPK and MSI could be solved in a somewhat unconventional way.

However, maybe it could be more flexible. In my opinion that those administrators who can handle a config.xml can also decide whether an “Automatic Upgrade” parameter can be activated in it or not to have a simple way to switch that. That would be also good after the installation of a package.

One consideration in connection with this would be that an automatic update would not be possible if structural changes are to be implemented with an update and the complete package is then required again.

It would be similar with a Docker installation, but with a slightly different image and container. Maybe it would be possible to implement a certain degree of automation with a refresh command, which then loads the latest package. However, it will probably not be that easy.

You can run your own update server, point all the clients to it and have them automatically update. You then have both control over which version is used and know the clients will update without manual intervention.

I dont know, in which way I can use in such cases:

grafik

This is something the package maintainer has set. Circumventing it is not a feature that can/should be added to Syncthing. If you aren’t a fan of the way the packages are created or supported you should discuss it with the maintainer or roll your own.

1 Like

Im in the Feature section, so Im not on the right place?

Its only the request to have a switcher in the config.xml

The maintainer of the package, not the maintainer of the underlying software.

I don’t think I know what it is you’re asking for, really.

1 Like

It’s msi intallers with autoupgrade enabled. That won’t happen, as there are two distinct upgrade paths, you either install and update via msi’s, or via the binaries that we ship.

Maybe that is different. If I exchange the Binary of Synology SPK, I can choose automatic update in the GUI.

Generally speaking, when you use a package manager and you install foo-1.2.3 you want and expect foo version 1.2.3. So package manager distributed binaries don’t have auto upgrade capabilities.

MSI stuff might be a grey area, like one might install Chrome via some installer and get the infinite rolling version of Chrome. But I expect the Debian package of Chrome(ium) to use regular APT upgrades?

1 Like

In the “normal” Linux environment, now Linux Mint for me, I have also regular APT upgrades, now I have already installed v1.13.1

Yes, what other behaviour were you expecting?