Unable to install Syncthing 1.27.x via F-droid

I am unable to update or install Syncthing (1.27.0, 1.27.1, nor 1.27.1.1) via F-droid (v1.18.0) on Android (v14, kernel 5.10.177, security update Dec 5, 2023). Syncthing will download, but after pressing the Install button, it simply shows the app page and the Install button again. Other apps are installable and updateable, including apps I have never installed before. I have reinstalled F-droid and updated the F-droid repositories. The installation of the direct APK download from Syncthing | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository also fails. Any ideas how to debug?

I would guess it’s likely the same bug as https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android/issues/2026.

Thanks for the link. After reading that issue discussion, I installed Syncthing v1.27.1 via Aurora Store to get the Google Play version; it installed successfully. I’ll switch back to the F-droid version when it is fixed. Maybe I should try building from source again myself; it’s been a few years since I did that.

After installing Android Studio and downloading 327 PiB of updates and packages and plugins and images and who knows what else, I managed to build the Syncthing Android app from source, but it required these changes to successfully build. However, when I tried to install it on my phone it silently failed as it did from the F-droid store. I don’t know how to access the system logs that would give me more information about why it is failing, but it would not suprise me if it were the same cause as the GitHub issue linked above describes.

@Nutomic if my code changes are useful to you let me know how best to share them (aside from the code comparison URL above). I am a novice when it comes to Android development so I don’t even really understand why those changes were necessary, but the build fails on my machine without them.

Honestly, I don’t think any of those changes are necessary (or at least not in relation to this specific problem). I just built the app myself a few days ago using the command line instructions from https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android#building with no changes to the codebase at all, and then I installed it under Android 14 with no problems, so this isn’t a universal issue, and especially so if, as you say, the Play Store version does install correctly.

PS The person responsible for the Android app for quite a while has been @imsodin, not Nutomic, who I believe retired from the Syncthing community a long time ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and reminder. While I use Syncthing daily, I clearly have not interacted with the developers much in recent years other than to drop the occasional “thank you”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.