Unable to Access Folder on Windows Using File Manager Apps with Syncthing Android

I apologize if this issue has already been addressed; I couldn’t find a topic with my specific problem. I am attempting to connect my Android device with a folder on my Windows laptop using Syncthing. While I have successfully established a connection between the devices and shared my phone with the folder, I am encountering difficulties accessing the folder through various file manager apps on my Android.

When I click on the folder icon on my phone, a pop-up tray appears with options for different file manager apps. Unfortunately, none of them allow me to access the folder. Here’s a breakdown of the issues with each app:

• Certificate Installer: Displays a message saying “can’t install certificate.”
  • Gmail: No response or action.
  • PDF Reader: Shows documents from the phone instead of accessing the shared folder.

I’ve attempted to resolve the problem by installing third-party file managers, but they either request a “local file for extraction” or do not appear in the tray.

Device and Software Information:

• Android Version: 13
  • Syncthing Version: 1.27.2

Interestingly, when attempting to access the folder from my phone to the laptop (source folder on the phone), I can successfully edit files on my laptop. Does this imply that accessing the folder through my phone might not be supported, or could it be an issue with the app or Android itself? Do I need to grant specific permissions to a file manager app for successful access?

Any insights or suggestions on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

You can use any file manager app and navigate to the correct path, you configured for the folder.

Unfortunately, the action to open a directory from within the Syncthing app is not well supported among file managers, there are only a handful that work correctly with that button. I’m sure someone here can recommend one that works.

Ok. thats what I had thought. Do you know anyone I can ask?

It’s odd that your phone offers those three apps above as potential file pickers (none of them are actual file managers).

I’ve found Files by Google and Material Files both work well with Syncthing on a variety of Android versions (I use Material Files on Android 9, 11 and 13 – all on phones with microSD card slots).

If I had to choose only one, I’m partial to Material Files’ UI because of its bookmarks menu, but I’d be happy with either one.

I found out what was wrong. I didn’t need to use the Synch Thing app to open the folder. I just found it in the file manger I downloaded.

Thanks for the info though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.