Ubuntu 16.04 repo conficts with everything

I have a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, the first thing I did was to install Syncthing as explained here : http://apt.syncthing.net/

Now I can hardly install anything else from the official repo because I always get conflicts with packages (libc6 most of the time). I can’t install Samba, I can’t install Steam…

Is this problem known or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Show an example of the conflicts? I don’t know what you’re seeing.

Thanks for your answer, here’s what I get when I try to install samba : (sorry for the french)

Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l'impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n'ont pas encore
été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d'Incoming.
L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation : 

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
 samba : Dépend: python-samba mais ne sera pas installé
         Dépend: samba-common-bin (= 2:4.3.3+dfsg-1ubuntu3) mais ne sera pas installé
         Dépend: libwbclient0 (= 2:4.3.3+dfsg-1ubuntu3) mais 2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 devra être installé
         Dépend: samba-libs (= 2:4.3.3+dfsg-1ubuntu3) mais 2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 devra être installé
         Recommande: attr
         Recommande: samba-vfs-modules mais ne sera pas installé
         Recommande: samba-dsdb-modules mais ne sera pas installé
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».

Why do you think Syncthing is causing this?

My best guess is that you have a mix of Ubuntu repositories in your APT config, or something similarly outdated.

You are certainly right. Honestly I have no idea how to interpret the errors I get. This was a fresh clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, I installed a couple of tools from the official repos, and then proceeded to install Syncthing, then after that I started to get those errors, so this led me to suspect Syncthing repos as the cause.

I’ll write on askubuntu to troubleshoot this dependencies problem. Thanks for your advice.

Ok I found my problem and it is indeed completely unrelated to Syncthing.

One of the suggested Ubuntu packages mirror for Switzerland, http://archive.ubuntu.csg.uzh.ch is completely out of date.

I switched to another server and everything is alright now.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again for your support.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.