Type 'hello' is not known on line 8 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list

Hi guys, I am using Linux Min 17.3

Tried to install syncthing but screwed things up. There was a prompt during the install and I typed in ‘hello’.

1 Now when synaptic package manager is opened it gives this error: An error occurred

The following details are providednux m

E: Type ‘hello’ is not known on line 8 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list E: The list of sources could not be read. Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

2 When G Debi Package Installer is opened there is a pop-up message

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with Synaptic Package Manager, check the file permissions and correctness of the file ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’ and reload the software information with: ‘sudo apt-get update’ and ‘sudo apt-get install -f’.

3 When ‘sudo apt-get update’ is typed in the terminal I get the message

E: Type ‘hello’ is not known on line 8 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list E: The list of sources could not be read.

Uninstalling and reinstalling synaptic package manager and all associations did not fix the challenge.

What has gone wrong? How to fix this? Please help!

Remove the syncthing.list and redo it, or edit that file to remove the errant “hello”.

1 Like

Sorry if this is stuff you’ve tried, I work in a school so I get lots of mixed technical abilities and its hard to tell on the net based on your description. Open terminal, type sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list (press tab 2 times, I’m not sure if theres a space in the filename, tab*2 will show you autocompletes or cycle through them). Type your login password. (if sudo does not work, type "su - " and then the root password, then ignore any “sudo” commands I’ve listed below. If you reboot, you will need to “su -” again the dash is intentional and not some magic thing. Remove the “hello” on line 8. then this command (read through the results, press q to leave the scrollability magics). See if theres any errant hellos there too, just in case, its a pretty easy to read file, errors should be noticable. sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list Then… sudo apt-get update -y; sudo apt-get install -f; IF YOU GET ERRORS STILL!?!?!? do sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list Delete any line relating to "syncthing.list" then sudo apt-get update -y; sudo apt-get install -f; Still Errors!?!?!? Pls reply for more help.

Also, that “delete syncthing.list” will break the syncthing.list, preventing you from getting syncthing updates. You may prefer to correct it, like I said, its generally pretty easy to read/spot incorrect stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.