Two users on the same machine

Hi, I’m a newby here and I’m planning to setup Syncthing on my small Linux server with two users. I think I have to launch two separate instances of Syncthing, one per user. What’s the best practice for this job? Do I have to change ports Syncthing is listening on? Which ports exactly? And what about the configuration of the two user’s Android and Windows peers? Thanks a lot for your help.

I’ve been running multiple instances on a few machines, and yes, you do need to change the ports. If you don’t, Syncthing will still work, but it will default to a random non-used port instead for the GUI, and there will also be issues with listeners and discovery.

What I normally do is to set a custom GUI port (e.g. 8385 instead of 8384), a custom listen address (e.g. tcp://0.0.0.0:22001, dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint, quic://0.0.0.0:22001 instead of default which actually expands to tcp://0.0.0.0:22000, dynamic+https://relays.syncthing.net/endpoint, quic://0.0.0.0:22000), and in the Advanced Configuration change the local announce port (e.g. 21028 instead of 21027).

Can you be more specific about what you mean here?

Hi tomasz86, thanks for answering. I mean is it necessary also to modify the standard configuration of the peers machines (ports, etc)?

Not really, unless you’re using hard-coded IP addresses with ports specified, etc. Otherwise, everything should connect automatically using the default settings.

Depending on who the two users are, it could be easier to run one instance on the server, and setup separate folders for each of the users.

I run Syncthing on my NAS and sync files from different family members to it, and for this case, it was enough to just let everyone have their own folder on the same server. That way it was also easy to set up a common folder, that everyone has access to.

This is acceptable in a family environment, but hardly beyond that. If one instance is running for all users on one computer, it must be clear to everyone that those who have the username and password can see everything and have access to everything.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.