The very first idea of a new user: Syncthinging Windows user's Desktop...

would you discourage?

What does “Syncthinging” mean?

If you mean synchronising, then sure. Synchronize the folder C:\Users\<you>\Desktop.

I just like to play with words ;), yes, synchronizing, I was just… say cautious to advise playing with that kind of system folder.

Thanks to make us happy canton7

Stuff in C:\Users\<you>\ isn’t the system folder. Things like your documents live in here, and it’s absolutely fine to synchronize those.

Just be careful about synchronizing C:\Users\<you> itself (things like your registry live in the root of this, which won’t synchronize), and C:\Users\<You>\AppData, as applications store their configuration data (etc) in here, and might not like having it changed while they’re running.

Yes man, that why I said kind of .. I thought about theses special icons like “My computer” or Trash or any other ones that are not what they call shortcuts and can be displayed on the desktop from the startup menu, righ-clic, show on desktop.

[quote=“canton7, post:4, topic:7185”] Just be careful about synchronizing C:\Users<you> itself (things like your registry live in the root of this, which won’t synchronize), and C:\Users<You>\AppData, as applications store their configuration data (etc) in here, and might not like having it changed while they’re running.[/quote] Nice reminder for young intrepids. I’d even say windows won’t like these things are massively changed even when not running the user they belong to…

Although, you touch a question I kept in mind for later : that is, any advise or cautiousness about the idea of sharing the ST config folder between Windows and Linux on a double boot machine to make the two installations appear as the same instance, really never running at the same time? Just thinking about the pathes syntax makes me believe you would discourage too. Am I right ?

As canton7 said, it’s fine to sync those. I’ve played around a lot syncing /Documents, /Desktop, etc… no special problems there.

Things you’d wand to be careful about:

• Working on the different machines at the same time (or switching a machine before the two are in sync) - you’ll introduce conflicts in the best case; loose some unsaved data in the worst case
  • You might want to turn on at least some kind of versioning in ST, it’s a nice safeguard against all kinds of weird situations and storage failures (i.e drive’s improper disconnection may cause date to be deleted from other nodes). Versioning is always good idea, and especially so with the so called “semi-special” folders and external storage.

I thought about theses special icons like “My computer” or Trash or any other ones that are not what they call shortcuts and can be displayed on the desktop from the startup menu, righ-clic, show on desktop.

They actually are. They just have some magic handling when they are shown to the user. But the directories they point to are perfectly normal, boring folders.