The Syncthing foundation stands for peace and with Ukraine

The Iraq war? The war where I had a bumper sticker on my car with the latest estimates of civilian casualties? The war that had the largest antiwar protests in history around the world including in the US?

Also you wanted the Syncthing Foundation… which didn’t exist yet and wouldn’t exist for several years after the invasion to make a statement on the Iraq War? Clearly you’re just a troll.

10 Likes

So far your argumentation boils down to whataboutism and “but Russia felt threatened by Nato”. The last point is laughable at best as Russia has around 6k nuklear warheads. Nobody would want to risk WW3. So all in all a very pathetic attempt to justify what is happening to the people in Ukraine.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be appropriate to lock the comments at this point?

Nothing good is going to come out from this, and if someone does feel like having a political discussion, there are millions of venues to do it in the Internet. If you don’t agree with Syncthing supporting a particular cause, the solution is simple, i.e. do not donate money to the Syncthing Foundation :wink:.

4 Likes

Yeah… Let’s just recommend to keep it constructive or follow Tomasz’s advise above for now.

3 Likes

If you wish to be politically-neutral, then, either keep silence (aka no politics), or be pratically neurtal (i.e. help both sides, e.g. ukranian red cross and donbass refugees), or be prepared, that somebody has opposite opinion (supported, of course, “by facts”, but from different sources).

IMHO, “no politics” is the best practice.

10 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Syncthing translations to Ukrainian and Russian

I only see the promotion of humanity and empathy in this venue.

7 Likes

For a short moment leaving aside the suffering. Think about the meaning and idea behind it:

• A missile takes only a few minutes to fly from St. Petersburg to Berlin or vice versa. This is nothing new after the fall of the iron curtain, St. Petersburg was Russian territory ever since WW2, the distance stays the same. So is this more threatening today?
  • A missile takes a little less to fly from St. Peterburg to Warsaw or vice versa. Two minutes less, an enormous increase in thread? Does it make any difference to be eradicated two minutes later?
  • A missile of Russian, US or Chinese origin is able to reach any place on this planet of strategic value. This is also not an invention of the fall of the iron curtain, it is not more or less threatening today than it was 30 years ago.

So an increase in thread is not the reason for attack, is it? So, what is it then?

• A country without nuclear weapons is about to attack the country with the world wide most nuclear weapons? Are they tired of life, or what?
  • The biggest country in area is afraid of a country of much smaller area and a population of 1/6th? Since when are the Russians wimps?
  • And because you are feeling threatened you’re gonna attack first? Does it make you militarily stronger or gives you some other means of a better chance of winning? Probably not, right?

=> All above arguments are plain BS!

So, what then is the reason? The men in the Kreml are not stupid. So, what they are doing must make some sense, follow some logic (could even be some weird logic). And you can estimate from more or less sense if an argument is valid or just pretended. So, the question to answer is, what would make most sense?
And what makes most sense in what we learned from the past is this: Resurrect as far as possible the old USSR, the Empire of the Zar or some kind of mixture of it. This way the wars of the young past and today, Georgia, Chechnya, Ukraine, etc. make “sense”. They follow in fact a common scheme: Surround with satellite states.
But the shock in it is, that it’s directed backwards. There’s no new, future planing, it’s completely ancient. It’s not 21st century, it’s like acting and thinking 100 or 200 years ago. And this makes me dumbfounded. Size does no longer matter, look at Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan. Small in size and population, but large in importance. Machines, automobiles, mobile phones, chip industry, etc. And having states acting as a buffer between “me” and “them” is also an obsolete idea of the past, considering above mentioned time to fly for a missile. Ukraine could have been an excellent candidate to intermediate between “the West” and Russia. This would have been a brilliant perspective for a future for every nation involved. But now war has poisoned anything.

6 Likes

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor . If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

Desmond Tutu 1931

8 Likes

I think that the actions of the Russian government should be condemned, along with every other violence in the world.

This forum is obviously not the right platform for a debating about the complex and nuanced Ukraine situation, but I believe that mention of the victims falling under responsibility of the Ukrainian government in the past 8 years in the Donbass region along those of the Russian invasion would be fair.

7 Likes

To make that point publicly:
The foundations action and this thread are here to support the Ukrainian people suffering under a vile invasion by the Russian regime, and in extensions to support peace everywhere. It is not here to discuss neutrality, various other actions or misjustices happening (or not) anywhere - even assuming good faith on part of all posters.
That being said: If you want to post something constructive here, please do so. Just don’t start tangential discussions, I’ll delete any such posts outright.

11 Likes

Allow me to summarize, that is " no discussion would be welcome here other than condemning Russia and supporting Ukraine, and this is not a place for free speech "

8 Likes

That more or less sums it up for me, yes.

Oh and inb4 “Syncthing foundation is against free speech”, you can say what you want - we just don’t have to host it on our platform for you.

9 Likes

This topic is now in the Announce category which has a slightly higher threshold for participation (TL1 to reply, since forever).

8 Likes

In social networks they urge not to donate to the Red Cross: what happened and why the Red Cross of Ukraine has nothing to do with it

3 Likes

Summarizing/simplifying that per my understanding; to accomplish actual good in Ukraine, donate to actual Ukranian organizations on the ground such as the Ukranian Red Cross Society (https://redcross.org.ua).

3 Likes

Kudo’s for this initiative!

5 Likes

Does Syncthing stands or would have stood for peace and with

• Syria
  • Iraq
  • Libya
  • Yugoslavia

too?

Yup.

I’m not certain which specific variant of hypocrisy you’re implying we’re guilty of, but I don’t really think it matters in either case.

4 Likes

The war in Syria is the most recent one and is ongoing. A few years ago it was more intence still. Syncthing has been around for 10 years - since 2013.

Show me then any topic here on the forum about “The Syncthing foundation stands for peace and with Syria”.