Synology config is pretty sparse; multiple installs no effect

Hello,

Just got a Synology NAS and I’ve noticed that settings, when configured in the gui, don’t seem to hold after restarts. For example, NAT Traversal, Global and Local Discovery, and Enable Relaying never stay checked. I’d go into the Advanced options and the respective options seem to be checked there.

I wanted to look at the config file; I believe I found it under the syncthing directory within @appstore directory.

Here’s what I’m seeing; and I think this may be why I can’t get connected to my server:

/@appstore/syncthing/app$ volume1/@appstore/syncthing/app$ { ".url": { “com.synocommunity.packages.syncthing”: { “title”: “Syncthing”, “desc”: “Syncthing Web UI”, “icon”: “images/syncthing-{0}.png”, “type”: “url”, “protocol”: “http”, “port”: “7070”, “url”: “/”, “allUsers”: true } } }

I have an Ubuntu version of syncthing running and there’s a lot more info than what I’m seeing in this config file. Has anyone else come across this? And yes; I did share folders between both systems by using the gui; but I just don’t see any of that information in this file.

I installed the package through SynoCommunity.

The file is the config for the syno package, not syncthing.

The syncthing config should be inside the home directory of the syncthing user.

Thanks for the info. I was having difficulty finding the home folder, largely since I didn’t know what user account was running the app. I confirmed the account name is syncthing (using ps aux | grep); however, when I go to the control panel in DSM, I see the sc-syncthing group but there are no members of the group. And I don’t see a ‘syncthing’ user account. I’m guessing I might need to create this account for the application?

If ps aux tells you that the user syncthing is running it, that user must exist. If the DSM interface doesn’t show hat user, it’s maybe a system account or something which the DSM interface doesn’t list. The user should still be listed in /etc/passwd or wherever that file is on Synology NASs.

I did find an account. But I’m still at a loss for finding the config file… or the logs for the application. On another post in this forum, it appears the log file may be located in /usr/local/syncthing/var/syncthing.log. The problem is, I’m getting permission denied messages; even while I SSH as admin.

You need to be root not admin. Make yourself root with su, then you can access system directories.

Ah! My mistake for thinking admin would get me there. I noticed that, running ps aux | grep syncthing showed a user account of 102. I thought that was odd so I uninstalled the application, created the syncthing account, and re-installed syncthing. When I run ps aux, syncthing is now being run by the account I created. I can now also see inside the system directory. So I guess the next thing would be is to find logs! From what I’ve found, it references older instances of the installed application. For example, the log file used to be in /usr/local/syncthing/var/syncthing.log. I’m not seeing that now with the SynoCommunity package. I believe there was mention it might be in the user’s home directory. I enabled that option through the control panel, restarted, and nothing. So unless there’s another home directory reference, I’m not sure where else to look.

I don’t know the synocommunity package and how it starts Syncthing, but Syncthing doesn’t create a logfile on Linux by default.

According to their startup script it (config) is in usr/local/syncthing/var.

It looks to me like they don’t set up logging at all

Hmmm - makes it tough to see what’s going on, doesn’t it?

I guess from here I should contact them and see what they would recommend.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.