SynoCommunity Syncthing package, update 1.19.0-24 (for Synology)

Just registered to report that the package update above appears to have wiped the Syncthing config (other than the device ID) on my DS920+ running DSM7 and I have to recreate the shares etc. A word of caution to other users.

EDIT: Just to clarify, Syncthing’s internal update mechanism had updated the binary to version 1.19.0 without any issue but a subsequent package update published by SynoCommunity and available from within DSM’s package center caused the problem.

3 Likes

I had the same thing happen. If you want to preserve your existing client sync configurations/relationships, DO NOT TAKE THIS PACKAGE UPDATE.

You already have the Syncthing code updated via its own autoupdate mechanism.

I urge the SynoCommunity to pull back this package. There is no warning about the extensive damage it does and reconfiguration that will be required. Especially concerning for people with lots of different folders sync’d.

1 Like

This hit me, too. Identical circumstances. Someone should take a look.

This is not the synocommunity - you should report to them asap. This topic might still helpful in reaching other Syncthing users on synology, but it is not the right place to report a bug and get it fixed, that would be here I guess: Issues · SynoCommunity/spksrc · GitHub

1 Like

Same happened to me too! All of the Syncthing configuration, nodes lost after upgrade to 1.19.0… Synology DS218j DSM 7.0.1.

When I ssh to the NAS two Syncthing process drives the NAS CPU at 100% (htop). When I stop Syncthing the load returns to minimal.

Historically, @acolomb has had some involvement with the SynoCommunity package. Highlighting for awareness, just in case. But, what Simon says – do report in the appropriate places as well.

1 Like

I’ll look into it ASAP. Hard for me to test on DSM 7 though, as my devices are all still on DSM 6.2.

Issue reported on SynoCommunity: https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/issues/5116

Did you hit a “repair package” button or similar anytime? Any chance your problems might be related to this:

1 Like

Same here, after using the package center update, my config was gone. I took a while until synchting was up and running again. But i still have to reconfig all my settings.

@acolomb i never used the repair package button.

Best regards m4tz3

@murchu, @dingo, @zendnez, @Jengo, @d3rm4tz3 would any of you happen to be confident enough to handle manual backup / restoring of the Syncthing config folder on the DS?

I could provide preview packages when we have a fix ready for testing. But would strongly advise to make a proper config backup first before trying a downgrade / upgrade again with the testing package. One important thing would be to stop the Syncthing service before making such a backup.

Sure, no problem. I haven’t reconfigured it yet but will do shortly, at least in part. Is it just the config.xml file in /@appdata/Syncthing needs to be backed up?

PS re ‘repair package’: for me that was required post-update to DSM 7 but did not result in any loss of data at that time.

I have now reconfigured my Syncthing. The folders will now be scanned again. How can I help? Do I also only have to back up the config.xml?

Same happened to me. I thought I would uninstall and then re-install just to clear out everything 100%, but now the package has been removed so I’m stuck without a working setup.

Version 1.19.9-24 is now removed in the synocommunity package repository. A fix is in progress at https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/5117.

1 Like

@rivageeza Meanwhile you could just install the older version available from SynoCommunity as a manual download.

1 Like

Regarding manual backups, you basically need most of the files from /var/packages/syncthing/var/ (root access required). The most important ones are:

• config.xml
  • cert.pem
  • key.pem
  • as well as the index-v0.14.0.db folder with the database.

Definitely STOP the Syncthing service before making the backup! Just to be sure, I always back up the whole folder with approximately these contents:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing    619 Jan  1  2019 cert.pem
-rw------- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing  66507 Jan 15 11:57 config.xml
-rw------- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing    363 Jan 15 11:54 csrftokens.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sc-syncthing syncthing     61 Feb  3 09:42 https-cert.pem -> /usr/local/etc/certificate/syncthing/syncthing_webui/cert.pem
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sc-syncthing syncthing     64 Feb  3 09:42 https-key.pem -> /usr/local/etc/certificate/syncthing/syncthing_webui/privkey.pem
drwxr-xr-x 2 sc-syncthing syncthing   4096 Feb  3 14:15 index-v0.14.0.db
-rw------- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing    288 Jan  1  2019 key.pem
-rw-r--r-- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing    261 Aug  2  2019 options.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing    832 Aug  2  2020 syncthing_install.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing 101594 Feb  3 17:38 syncthing.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 sc-syncthing syncthing      6 Feb  3 09:42 syncthing.pid

with 1.19.0-24 only options.conf and config.xml were overwritten with the former default files contained in the spk file of the downloaded package.

A workaround would have been to delete the /var/packages/syncthing/target/var folder (NOT /var/packages/syncthing/var !!!) before the update, but as 1.19.0-24 is not available for download anymore, you have to wait for 1.19.0-25 anyway.

2 Likes

By the way, welcome @hgy59 to our community forum :slight_smile:

And thank you for picking up work on this so quickly. We have a fix imminent and I suppose a new version might be published today. Without your help, I definitely could not have handled this problem within one day of the initial report! :heart:

2 Likes

Amazing thank you.

Syncthing v1.19.0-25 is now uploaded to the synocommunity package center (and available for manual download and installation) and will appear in the DSM package center of the diskstations within 48h.

4 Likes