Syncthing Windows Setup v1.22.1

Syncthing Windows Setup is a lightweight yet full-featured Windows installer.

Documentation and download: GitHub - Bill-Stewart/SyncthingWindowsSetup: Syncthing Windows Setup

This version includes the following changes because one of the antimalware vendors complained about them:

1. There’s now a license page as a part of the installation (the default is to accept the license).

2. The uninstaller now deletes syncthing.exe.old if it exists when uninstalling.

Reminder to users: If your security software flags the installer as malware, please submit it to your vendor as a false-positive.

Hmm. Why though? I don’t think there’s anything in the license that the user must agree to, or that restricts the user in their usage?

(BTW I noted that the installer ran fine on my Windows on ARM64, but it installed the Intel 32-bit version of Syncthing. Is it possible the installer could detect this situation better? I realize the installer probably ran under some emulation that looked like 32-bit Intel…)

Hmm. Why though? I don’t think there’s anything in the license that the user must agree to, or that restricts the user in their usage?

I know, it’s silly. Note that the default is to accept the license agreement, so the agreement is basically implicit.

(BTW I noted that the installer ran fine on my Windows on ARM64, but it installed the Intel 32-bit version of Syncthing. Is it possible the installer could detect this situation better? I realize the installer probably ran under some emulation that looked like 32-bit Intel…)

Correct, ARM64 is not a tested scenario. It looks like Inno Setup can detect ARM64 and install appropriately. We probably should have a have a separate installer executable for ARM64. I’d need a tester as I have no ARM64 hardware or VMs.

Nonetheless, it’s coercing the user to read a bunch of legalese that they probably don’t have to, with the admonition that they’re not allowed to run the program unless they accept it. I don’t think that’s even strictly true; the license is about distribution, I don’t think a user has to accept it to run the program.

I’d be happy to test an ARM64 installer.

Nonetheless, it’s coercing the user to read a bunch of legalese that they probably don’t have to, with the admonition that they’re not allowed to run the program unless they accept it. I don’t think that’s even strictly true; the license is about distribution, I don’t think a user has to accept it to run the program.

Agreed; in the next version it will be just a “readme” rather than implying a license agreement the user is accepting. Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding ARM64: I’m testing qemu and a Windows ARM64 image to see if I can test the ARM64 version.

1 Like

One thing to note regarding the ARM64 install: The auxiliary binaries (nssm.exe and startps.exe) are 32-bit Windows executables. Not sure if this will be an issue or not when installing on ARM64. Also Windows PowerShell is required.

Here’s the download link for testing the ARM64 installer for v1.22.1:

https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/SyncthingWindowsSetup/releases/download/v1.22.1-ARM64test/syncthing-1.22.1-setup-ARM64test.exe

I wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t actually work…

@calmh when you have some time please try the syncthing-1.22.1-setup-ARM64test.exe installer and let me know if it works. Thanks!

2 Likes

It worked, and it installed the ARM version. :+1:

3 Likes

Not a lawyer, but the MPL (like many software licenses) does have a no-warranty statement.

*  6. Disclaimer of Warranty                                           *
*  Covered Software is provided under this License on an "as is"       *
*  basis, without warranty of any kind, either expressed, implied, or  *
*  statutory, including, without limitation, warranties that the       *
*  Covered Software is free of defects, merchantable, fit for a        *
*  particular purpose or non-infringing. The entire risk as to the     *
*  quality and performance of the Covered Software is with You.        *
*  Should any Covered Software prove defective in any respect, You     *
*  (not any Contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing,   *
*  repair, or correction. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an   *
*  essential part of this License. No use of any Covered Software is   *
*  authorized under this License except under this disclaimer.         *

This does apply to use of the software and it sounds like accepting this is required. But again, not a lawyer so :man_shrugging:.

(I also frequently see software that asks me to agree to the GPL before installing or launching something (even webapps), so for me its not unheard of to have to agree to an OSS license before installing or using free software)

Yeah, you’re right, that part applies to users. And it even says that using the software is only allowed accepting the disclaimer.

I know, which is particularly funny because the GPL explicitly says

You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy of the Program.

:person_shrugging:

1 Like

It worked, and it installed the ARM version.

Good news, thanks for testing!

…the GPL explicitly says

You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy of the Program.

But this is the MPL, not the GPL? Or did I misunderstand something obvious? (Wouldn’t be the first time…)

No, no misunderstanding, it’s just a side discussion.

I’m ambivalent to the whole license-up-front thing, but it’s obvious there’s at least one paragraph in the license that applies to actual users.

1 Like

No, no misunderstanding, it’s just a side discussion.

OK.

Right now the installer just displays the MPL as informational. The user can just click on the Next button to continue the install. There’s no enforced acceptance or anything.

Will that work?

…or do we want to use the “license” page which requires a user acceptance before installing? Please advise.

1 Like

Do not add a forced acceptance step please.

1 Like

Do not add a forced acceptance step please.

Thanks for the confirmation! Will leave as-is with just an informational page and Next button only.

1 Like