Syncthing Windows Setup v1.18.6

Documentation:

Download:

Syncthing Windows Setup is a lightweight installer package for Windows that provides the following features:

NOTE: If you installed version 1.18.5 using the previous installer, it is recommended to uninstall it before installing 1.18.6 or newer. (This is due to the improved way that Setup sets up the Syncthing configuration at install time.)

4 Likes

This looks very cool, about as full featured as an installer can get plus documented. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes indeed, very nice!
And not just because it feels nice to be on the other side of the request for once, but also a genuine feature I’d use: I’d be awesome if one could choose to install with synctrayzor too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The “synctrazor” supports only current user (not Windows service), so its design goal is somewhat incompatible with this installer. (It also requires .NET which makes the installer prerequisite validation, if done correctly, more complicated, but that’s a different story.)

1 Like

A Windows service is much more prefered from my side and I test it.

1 Like

Its not possible to test it for now, because I use the MSI package and some parameters are overlapping, e.g. service name Syncthing is the same.

So, at first I prepare my test computer for that, need to make a backup and uninstall MSI and to install the EXE. But in that current condition there is no possibility to install in parallel, maybe to run more than one instance for local syncs and so on.

1 Like

For testing you could download the installer source (Syncthing.iss) and update only the following line:

#define ServiceName "syncthing"
1 Like

How can I handle that during the installation process?

1 Like

The installer design doesn’t currently support specifying the service name at runtime. You can work around this by changing the preprocessor directive (as noted previously) and compiling a new setup executable.

1 Like

Where is the directory with the database on Windows?

1 Like
1 Like

I install for all users and in the folder

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\

is no Syncthing

We will see after computer reboot.

1 Like

If you are using non-English version of Windows the folder name might be different. You can find out the path with a PowerShell command:

Get-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19"
1 Like

I have a german Windows 10 64-bit system. The reg links to

grafik

There is no file, folder or subfolder there. During installation I got that

grafik

but in that folder

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local

is no Syncthing. What could be instead?

1 Like

I only found that

C:\Users>USER<\AppData\Local\Syncthing\cert.pem C:\Users>USER<\AppData\Local\Syncthing\config.xml C:\Users>USER<\AppData\Local\Syncthing\key.pem

but not more, no database, nothing else in that folder.

1 Like

Did you install for all users or current user?

What is output of this command:

Get-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19"
1 Like

I installed as service, it means for all users with default setting at beginning. The result of that see 2. pic above regarding service.

In the registry

"HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19"

I found the path you see at first pic above.

1 Like

German localization of SetSyncthingConfig.js will be required for the script to work.

Near top of script, you will need to change this line:

var LOCALSERVICE_APPDATA_PATH   = "ServiceProfiles\\LocalService\\AppData\\Local";

To:

var LOCALSERVICE_APPDATA_PATH   = "ServiceProfiles\\LocalService\\path";

Where path is the AppData\Local directory name in German (with two \\ between directories, like in the original line).

I’ll look into this to see if we can get the correct localized directory name without having to localize the script.

In the next version, I will probably switch to creating a config directory inside the install directory and just add --home to the command line so that there aren’t any localization issues. Thanks for testing!

1 Like

Another question: What output do you get from the following command (PowerShell):

PS C:\> $env:LOCALAPPDATA
1 Like