Syncthing Stopped

Hello I’m a newbie at programming so please be patient with me. This showed on the Syncthing Console when I started running it at my laptop. What should I do? BTW I hid where I placed the Syncthing for anonimity so you might see “C:\Users.…\Syncthing\syncthing.log”

[monitor] 21:20:29 INFO: Log output saved to file “C:\Users.…\Syncthing\syncthing.log”

[start] 21:20:29 INFO: syncthing v1.18.1 “Fermium Flea” (go1.16.6 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-07-30 12:41:57 UTC

[start] 21:20:30 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (37) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.

[monitor] 21:20:30 INFO: Log output saved to file “C:\Users.…\Syncthing\syncthing.log”

[start] 21:20:30 INFO: syncthing v1.18.1 “Fermium Flea” (go1.16.6 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-07-30 12:41:57 UTC

[start] 21:20:30 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (37) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.

How do you run Syncthing? It looks like your Syncthing version got downgraded and is now unable to read the newer config file.

Especially how did you install it? There could be several versions on your computer if you have been trying different installation methods.

Well, I installed the SyncTrayzorSetup-x64 from the official github. Actually, this only appeared the second time I opened the Syncthing it was still working well the first time I run it.

And for what reason do you need to run it from the command line then? Or did you maybe reinstall without removing your user settings as well?

The thing is, SyncTrayzor comes bundled with a syncthing.exe. When it runs, a new syncthing.exe is downloaded when updates are available. That may trigger an update of your configuration file so it’s no longer usable from the older version. I guess the old exe stays around somewhere, so if you run from the command line, pay attention to which one you’re starting, maybe based on the file modification date.

If you don’t need the previous configuration anymore, go ahead and delete it from your user folder. If you intend to keep it, another way would be to rename the configuration folder, start Syncthing so it generates a new one and does the update, then stop it again and rename the folder back, deleting the new one.

Hope some of this makes sense to you. Just indicate which way sounds like it matches your needs and we can talk you through the details.

Is that so? Well, thank you. I just intend to use Syncthing to Sync my Obsidian Notes. Once again thanks.

What are you trying to do specifically? Have you just installed SyncTrayzor, and now you’re seeing the error when trying to run it by executing SyncTrayzor.exe (e.g. from the Start Menu)? Had you by any chance launched the bare syncthing.exe binary before starting SyncTrayzor?

I followed the instructions to sync Obsidian notes using Syncthing, from laptop to mobile. The first time, it connected and my notes appeared on my laptop and mobile. I do not know much about this as I’m still in high school. But I found what is the problem according to acolombo, I deleted my Syncthing in laptop and reinstalling without removing my user settings. I only need details to solve this problem.

This is what’s causing the issue.

SyncTrayzor bundles an older version of syncthing. Your previous syncthing installation then updated itself and now you’re back on the older version bundled with SyncTrayzor.

You should upgrade your syncthing.exe shipped with SyncTrayzor. There are various ways to do this.

One option is to go to File → Settings within SyncTrayzor, and set a Syncthing command line option under Advanced. Type in “-upgrade” as command line argument and restart syncthing as prompted. Then, the console will show that syncthing has upgraded. Remove the command line option afterwards.

Thanks, I will try.

1 Like

It’s working thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.