Syncthing running conhost.exe making random beeping sounds

Hi,

i am running Syncthing for a long time already. And i love it.

I just noticed something: I had the problem for quite some time already, but now i pinpointed it: My computer started making random beeping sounds (Windows Foreground.wav).

I found out already some time ago that it was caused by a program called Console Window Host AKA conhost.exe, but i still could not identify its exact source.

But today i nailed it:

syncthing.exe spawned a conhost.exe and that one is making the randomly delayed beeping sounds.

It was driving me nuts!!

Can anyone tell what is happening here?

I run syncthing with this parameter: "C:\Program Files\Syncthing\syncthing.exe" -no-console

I will try to run it with the normal console, to see if i can find anything there when it starts beeping again.

Is there any way to see the console output of syncthing when using -no-console in windows?

p.s. using version 1.0.0, but also happened with older versions already.

Greetings Fred;

Yeah, Actions -> Logs in the GUI. There’s nothing intentionally causing beeps, that’s for sure. Maybe the Windows console reacts oddly to some special character present in some filename…

It will beep if you send it \7

1 Like

Which is an invalid character on Windows so sync would fail and the filename would get printed to the console, yeah.

I didn’t know/expect Windows to be that TTY-compliant…

Aside: They’ve been doing a large rework of ConPTY, see here.

2 Likes

We should probably strip control characters from the log output.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.