Syncthing paused?

Running Syncthing on my Linux PC. The Syncthing web browser icon has what appears to be a pause button icon in it and Syncthing is unresponsive. Won’t do anything. Not sure what I did or how to fix it? Help!?

Hey, GemStater I think you should try this. delete this folder (make sure you take backup first) .config/syncthing or .local/state/syncthing .

Don’t do that. Instead, post a screenshot of what you’re seeing and get some less destructive advice.

2 Likes

Here’s a pic…

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53822215144_19d3c0c8f7_k.jpg

Also, my remote devices disappeared.

Still not working. Here are some other things I tried:

Under actions; Restart Syncthing and Shutdown Syncthing

No Change.

I then tried to uninstall and then reinstall Syncthing.

No Change.

Here is what the logs look like:

2024-06-30 16:24:40 My ID: R4VITYD-YIIMWEE-XMCMVOZ-PJGI2ZE-MEJAXPB-6Q6FLWS-GZESIRQ-O3L6TQB
2024-06-30 16:24:41 Single thread SHA256 performance is 2195 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd (610 MB/s using crypto/sha256).
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Hashing performance is 1418.97 MB/s
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Starting deadlock detector with 20m0s timeout
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Overall send rate is unlimited, receive rate is unlimited
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Using discovery mechanism: IPv4 local broadcast discovery on port 21027
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Using discovery mechanism: IPv6 local multicast discovery on address [ff12::8384]:21027
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Ready to synchronize "Default Folder" (default) (sendreceive)
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Completed initial scan of sendreceive folder "Default Folder" (default)
2024-06-30 16:24:42 TCP listener ([::]:22000) starting
2024-06-30 16:24:42 ...
2024-06-30 16:24:42 GUI and API listening on 127.0.0.1:8384
2024-06-30 16:24:42 Access the GUI via the following URL: http://127.0.0.1:8384/
2024-06-30 16:24:42 My name is "gemstate-System-Product-Name"
2024-06-30 16:24:56 Detected 1 NAT service

I then found a Linux set-up guide and performed the following commands with the following results:

sudo systemctl enable syncthing@myuser.service

sudo systemctl start syncthing@myuser.service

sudo systemctl status syncthing@myuser.service

× syncthing@myuser.service - Syncthing - Open Source Continuous File Synchronization for myuser
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/syncthing@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-06-30 16:30:20 PDT; 1min 27s ago
       Docs: man:syncthing(1)
    Process: 34656 ExecStart=/usr/bin/syncthing serve --no-browser --no-restart --logflags=0 (code=exited, status=217/USER)
   Main PID: 34656 (code=exited, status=217/USER)
        CPU: 1ms

Jun 30 16:30:20 gemstate-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: syncthing@myuser.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
Jun 30 16:30:20 gemstate-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: Stopped Syncthing - Open Source Continuous File Synchronization for myuser.
Jun 30 16:30:20 gemstate-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: syncthing@myuser.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jun 30 16:30:20 gemstate-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: syncthing@myuser.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 30 16:30:20 gemstate-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: Failed to start Syncthing - Open Source Continuous File Synchronization for myuser.

Please use the “Preformatted text” option when pasting commands or log output to the forum. It’s much easier to read that way.

You did have Syncthing running previously? If so, how did you start it? The commands you entered install it as a system service running under the myuser account. From the log I’d say it most likely is already running in the background and therefore the database is locked, or systemd cannot start it at all (does myuser even exist or is it called differently in reality?)

You say your remote devices disappeared. Have you verified that the configuration is actually the one you used previously? Check the Help > About > Paths tab to see which configuration file it is using. Does that match your expectations from when it previously ran successfully?

Thanks so much for helping me on this.

I have established via systemctl status that Syncthing is “active” and (running) on my machine.

Going to look into paths to see what I can find out. I’ll probably have more questions soon.

Update: The black “pause” icon shown in the picture I provided earlier is now gone.

I’ve looked into the “paths” and am going to need some additional assistance to figure out which path I’m using and how to change it if needed.

I did try to manually add two remote devices. They both show up as Disconnected (Unused).

When I look at the Linux PC in my Android app, it shows no IP address whereas the Windows PC does have an IP address shown.

I feel like I’m getting closer but still a ways to go.

Thanks again. I’ll be standing by for more assistance.

Update.

Since I had a reason to believe my issue was with the network connection. I did a internet search for “syncthing not connecting to internet”. That took me in the direction of the local firewall settings on my Linux operating system. So it wasn’t super clear on how to change settings in the firewall application but I tried a few changes there. Not sure if those helped but then I found the sudo command for Uncomplicated Firewall(ufw), which is “ufw allow syncthing”. Between one or all of those changes, my Syncthing came to life and was ready to sync. I synced up a file with my Windows computer to my Linux computer and it is syncing as I type this. So for folks on Linux, be aware of the Firewall settings. Thanks so much for the help everyone. Until next time, take care!