Syncthing on the same PC

Hi,

1. My best compliment for this project that I used years ago when it started out. It looks like it has mature a lot. Very glad for it and for all the maintainers! Complimenti :slight_smile:

Before I delve into all the intricacy of the product as it stands today, could somebody please tell me if I can use it with an adequate configuration to keep 2 USB drives synchronized on the same machine? I have this need to keep a second USB drive in sync.

If this feature is not contemplated, could it be? I’m thinking that it appears in line with the fundamental philosophy of the tool that is to maintain my data under my control (I have NAS etc. but this use-case is important too to me right now)

Thank you for your amazing work!

Only by running two copies of Syncthing and connecting them together. Syncing two locally accessible directories is a different and in principle simpler task than what Syncthing does, and Syncthing’s methods are ill suited to it.

1 Like

I see. Thank you @calmh for the prompt reply. TTYL

This is where I recommend FreeFileSync, which also has a RealTimeSync mode just for this type of use case. https://freefilesync.org/

Open source for Linux, MacOS, Windows

2 Likes

FreeFileSync is a very good manual sync tool for desktop computers, firstly Windows computers, but without included features for automated processing. That would be only possible with Windows task scheduler, but is to complicated.

Therefore on Windows I would prefer SyncBackPro for a automated processing, similar to Syncthing. There is also a Free version with a set of features are usually enough for normal issues.

FreeFileSync may or may not work, depending on your use case for automated processing,

If all you need is to sync a USB drive when it is connected, and/or keep it synced while connected, the RealTimeSync tool works perfectly.

If your use case goes beyond that, you definitely should look at something more like SyncBackPro or full backup software.

In Windows, you could also just use the built-in robocopy with /mot and /mon switches (for details see https://docs.microsoft.com/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy). It will monitor and automatically sync source and destination folders in background.

The downside compared to FreeFileSync (or RealTimeSync, to be specific) is that Robocopy doesn’t use shadow copies, so it cannot copy locked files.

1 Like

Dear @zrml I recommend you too - in your case - to use Free File Sync that I have also been using for some years for the flawless synchronization of some local folders in the windows environment. Usual, necessary time period for the learning curve, therefore flawless operation! Another thing: you can automate its operation via the windows scheduler. it is all reported in his short guide