Syncthing on pfsense router

I have a minipc with pfsense installed on it. I am planning to set up syncthing on it as a permanent “cloud server”.

It’s working satisfactorily as of now, except that I get constant “connected to myself - should not happen” message.

Are there any security concerns regarding this? Should I put a little more effort and set up my own discovery server on pfsense box?

Connected to myself messages are harmless, but might point to a not optimal configuration. It usually happens when there are multiple Syncthing clients behind the same router and port-forwarding is setup for one (some) of these, while everyone is listening on port 22000. So if A has the port forward and tries to connect to B via their global IP, that happens to end up at the port forward back to A. I myself fix that by setting non-standard listening ports on Syncthing clients which get port forwards. Discovery could probably be a bit smarter by filtering addresses which are known to point at itself, but as it’s not harmful, hardly worth the effort.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.